Options

What kind of Rack should I buy?

frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
Hey Guys,

I have all of my equipment for the CCNA lab, but I want to buy a rack now. I was wondering what brand is good, how much I should spend, etc.? About the only thing I know is where to buy it: eBay.

I have no idea what the needs will be for CCNP because I haven't gotten there yet, but I would like a rack that can handle CCNP needs in the future.

Thanks,

Frank

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Racks are heavy so you have to consider the shipping cost and delivery method or if you even want one after you check closely. Those things on ebay are expensive by the time you get it, beware or look locally if you can. Long freight often assumes a loading dock and they will charge extra to put one on a lift gate. Always ask if you see the dreaded letters FOB in the shipping section. Most people get an open frame rack and assemble it their selves. Not as pretty but functional. If you do not have a lot of equipment blackbox has a couple of desktop and wall mount racks. But even then you could nail a couple more routers for the cost of a good rack $500 to $800 from blackbox for example but they offer free ground shipping. I am assuming you are in the U.S. if you are in the E.U. or elsewhere then look some more.

Here is a starter link for blackbox for 24 to 48 inch high units.

http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cid=111,1335,1358&mid=159

Dell used to sell blems in their resale store, don't know if they still do.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    My all time favorite rack or wall mount. Great for 2950 and small switches (Holds 3 2950's). Its very light and perfect for straight to dry wall.

http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cid=111,1338,1379&mid=3657
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    If you're looking for a proffesional rack, like the kind of thing that companies use to hold 1U servers in, I can reccomend dell and Sun. The Sun racks are very very nice. The dells are very nice as well. A word of caution, racks like that often include doors on the front. For instance, in our machine room, the routers and such are in open racks so you might invest in one of those. If you'd like, I can look at what brand we have our routers in at the school.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the price of rack ears first..... icon_eek.gif if you don't have them already they add up to some $$$$ I got some great deals on routers, and the rack ears for them would cost more than the routers! Plus the last time I checked, no one was combining shipping for the ears on eBay.

Something like the B-LINE Cooper Aluminum Equipment Rack that is usually on eBay may also work -- I've seen people build "Dolly Platforms" and bolt these to that. I priced shelves for these... and then went with Plan C

Plan C was shopping at Sam's Club for utility shelving. icon_lol.gif Someday it may be worth posting a picture.

There are some good deals on eBay -- just watch out for the shipping as TheShadow mentioned.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, the blackbox racks look nice, real nice! I just don't know If I'm ready to put out all that cash right now, I might go with Mikej412's Plan C.