CISM or ISSMP

PeterHandsPeterHands Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've completed the CISSP and was thinking what to do next.

Now when I look at job adverts, nearly always I see CISSP or CISM wanted. In fact I haven't seen anything for ISSMP.

But do I even need CISM?

Ideally along the way I'd like the chance to become CISO...as does a friend of mine in the same predicament.

Should I bother with either of these and if so, which one would be best?
ISC2 CISSP, EC-Council CEH, CompTia Security+

Comments

• lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't speak for the ISSMP but there was nothing new to learn from CISM that I didn't already learn from the CISSP. The exams are different in the way they ask their questions but for the most part, I didn't learn anything new. The ISSMP may be better but I don't know.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't think I've seen job offers for ISSMP's. The study material for the CISM and CISSP overlapped some but I think the CISM goes into even more managerial topics and the CISSP is a little more technical.  If you're choosing between the CISM and ISSMP I'd do the CISM.

Having passed all of the above I must say having both the ISC2 and the ISACA view of things did help me to be able to talk the talk with alumni from both.

Some of the CISO's I know don't have any of the mentioned certs, they're more of an extra to complement your other qualifications and experience.
  • suntosunto Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISM will yield better results in the market.