The future of the Cybersecurity Talent Gap

Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
I found this article on Forbes this morning that talks about the current talent gap in cybersecurity, and how to keep up with demand in the future. It mentions the importance of boot camps and online learning in the short term and how we can train the next generation of cybersecurity professionals to succeed us.

My question is: Are you concerned at all about cybersecurity talent gap? Do you think it exists, and is as urgent as this article suggests? I'm curious to hear what you think!

Full article here »
Community Manager at Infosec!
Who we are | What we do

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Meh - I don't personally see the gap. Every report/article that I come across tend to be self serving or some promotional piece to sell a service or product. It's really no different in other professions - lack of nurses, lack of plumbers, lack of electricians, lack of privacy professionals, etc. The only one that I never see is lack of lawyers.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In part there may be some truth to this, but it's a self inflicted injury. Companies cry about lack of qualified professionals, but they don't want to train people, they want seasoned professional out of the box. They keep hiring the same limited talent pool back and forth with higher and higher salaries. Also generally cyber security isn't an entry level job, the best cyber security processionals have some degree of experience in other areas of IT. It's far easier to train a good System Administrator with a couple of years experience than to train someone fresh out of college and train them on Cyber Security and System Administration on top of that.  
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.