Options

790-292 Failed - 538 score

Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took the 70-292 this morning for the first time and failed. I discovered these forums a couple of weeks ago....so I was indeed a little intimidated of this thing. I do have a free second shot. Below are some of the questions I saw that I'm not sure I got right....looking for help on what MS might have expected as the answer...and also some tips on what to know...most of what Osprey has already said.

Resources:
- I used Netfreso's (Osprey) notes which helped alot or my score would have been a lot worse...
- Microsoft Webcasts and virtual labs
- real life lab with 2 W2K3 servers
- MS Help and Support files
- internet articles

I almost wish this was a hands on exam!

I would feel confident going in b/c I know how to do VSS, - MS shoud do this and ask you to restore a file using VSS - done, easy! Next! Instead I'm tested worded questions that I'm not sure that they are asking for....

I can configure DNS (primary & secondaries, forwarders,) Test me on that!
Set up a couple DCs' for me and say go to it!

Test me on a real computer/lab setup autoritative restore!

Test me on a real computer/lab setup on locking down a user environment with GPO's! game over!

Test me on a real computer/lab setup enabling TS and locking it down

Test me on a real computer/lab setup controlling user/group access to a resource...I'll do it in my sleep!

I think MS should offer and choice/alternative a hands on test to do all this stuff for all the marbles! to get your MCSE/MSCA and charge a $200 - $300 for it. If you fail, hey more $$$ for them....

the first 9 questions were DNS, rest were TS, VSS, and security, groups, etc.

1. DNS - Head office (primary DNS)with a bunch of branch office (secondaries DNS)....then says that users in the branch office are experiencing slow access, and the connectivity disconnects twice a day unexpectedly....then shows me a screenshot of the SOA tab on the properties of the zone....says I need to alter the setting...suggested that the Refresh interval be 2 hours...all choices had the settings in hours and not in minutes like the default.

2. DNS - (choose 2) child domain has slow access to another child domain - it gave me the choice of stub zone, conditonal forwarder, - I chose conditional forwarder, and then I chose....oh, I forget!, darn!

3. DNS-WINS-NT4 - NT4 uses WINS right !?! I got 2 questions referring to NT4 workstations not being able to logon or access resources, eg - WINS lookup and NT4 workstation does not have a WINS entry in its IP config...

4. Terminal Services - are there 2 remote desktop users groups? domain and local?? tricky choices by Microsoft.... I chose local referring to a user that could not use TS on a local server....DC I can't remember if it was or not.l...

5. Terminal Services - Osprey, if you are reading this, here is one to add to your notes....I wasn't sure about this on the test, but after finding out the answer on my lab server, i think I may have guessed right......question on terminal services cluster farm, you've just added a new ts server to the domain which will be a part of the directory session - you configure this in the GPO - under Terminal Services --> Directory Session

7. Know how to filter Event Viewer or show all records in Event Viewer...gimme questions

8. Know System State backup and that if the DC is a certificate server, the certificate component is included in the system state backup....

9. BAckup operator needs to be able to shutdown the server....what rights does he need?....I chose Server operator....which looking back was the wrong choice.....I should have chose Backup Operators...duh.....a gimmer question which I let go....

10. Support Tools - Question of a user wanting to connect remotely to a DC in another domain using supprt tools....then complains she can't connect to the DC - the answer to this is the whole configuring LDAP traffic so it will connect....in Ospreys notes, but I either forgot about this of over thought it...another one that cost me....

11. couple questions on shadow copy...one of them was a picture (.bmp) that had been altered by numerous users over a week, and then got corrupted....this was a sim, I had to select the bmp file to be restored, and then select the restore or copy button....I selected the restore button....but I am unsure b/c the requirement was that the corrupted file not be accessible anymore by users after the restore...??? I know that it could be over-writed and retain its permissions right? I have doublts about this question....

12. AUtomatic Updates - SIM - another question I gave away....asked you to select the options in Automatic updates (yes, the program in control panel on XP machines, not SUS) and said updates had to be approved....so I selected the option download and notify me for install, but failed to select the check box at the top of this window- "Keep my computer up to date....."

13. MBSA - asked you to analyze a server - SIM - I had to select the target server, then select "Check for Windows administrative vulnerabilities" and "Check for security updates" b/c it had a requirment of knowing any potential unessesary services running as welll as any missing service patches....think I got this one right....as i played aroung with MBSA after the exam...

14. couple questions on security templates and the whole require IPSEc - see osprey notes....one was a SIM where I had to drag the security template I thought I needed within the AD users and computers console - I dragged hisecdc.inf to the domain controllers OU and hisecws.inf to the users OU i'm afraid to say....if I remember correctly....may have gotten this one wrong....probaly...

15. DNS - got one saying users could not logon to a domain controller...then showed screenshot of the DNS console with all the SRV records....I chose restart the netlogon service...compared to the other options i had, it seemed like the best choice....one of the other options I think was run ipconfig /registerdns....

Look forward to hearing from you all....

Comments

• Options
    jim2000jim2000 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is my first time failure and I have been taking tests since NT.
    I thought I was well prepared. I have everyday work experience in XP and 2003 server and studied the material. Thought I was well prepared for the standard misleading and deceptive questions by taking the Measureup tests....apparently not.

Most of my questions revolved around SUS, DNS, disaster recovery(ASR, shadow copy, system state, etc) and Terminal Services\Remote Desktop.
    Since I am fairly confident I know the stuff in a real world environment, I will take it again in a couple weeks after memorizing everything possible in the areas I mentioned.

Oh well, enough blubbering and back to studying.

Jim