Options

Problems upgrading IOS on 2501/2507.

qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
Hi,

I need to upgrade the firmware on my 2501/2407 routers. I seem to be having issues. At this point, I'm only trying to do it on the 2501 through the console port.

I have a console -> serial adapter, I can log into the router fine and everything through hyper terminal but when I upgrade the IOS, I enter the tftp server's address (192.168.0.102) and it fails.

When I do it on the local machine to try to copy the tftp file, it's fine so I know the tftp server is up.

I know it's probably going to be easier to do it on the 2507 since it has ethernet ports, but I'm curious how to do it on the serial port for the 2501 since you don't give an ip address to the serial port.

Thanks in advance.
World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No IP, no TFTP.

do you have the
    copy xmodem flash
    command option available in your IOS version?

2600s and 3600s let you do the xmodem transfers in ROMON

(and this is how we transfered files way back in the old old old old days -- I mean serial connection with xmodem, ymodem, and zmodem -- not the console port of a router ) icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I'm not sure. I think they're both running IOS 11.2.

If I use the xmodem command, how is the file hosted on the computer?
  • Options
    spfdz wrote:
    If I use the xmodem command, how is the file hosted on the computer?
    Directory structure on your harddrive, cdrom, floppy drive, or mounted network drive.

If you have the TFTP server on the PC connected to the router, then just use the directory path and file that's already in the upload directory.

After you do that command, then you have to use the transfer/send file menu options in hyperterminal.

Of course, it would be a lot faster with a transceiver for the AUI port and TFTP..... as you'll find out (hopefully).
  • Options
    Heh,

For my 2501, the transceiver hasn't arrived yet. I guess I'll upgrade the 2507 in the meantime. Thanks :)
  • Options
    spfdz wrote:
    For my 2501, the transceiver hasn't arrived yet. I guess I'll upgrade the 2507 in the meantime.
    But if you started the xmodem upload now it probably would finish before your transceiver arrived!

And everyone should do one xmodem upload in a lab environment. Once you do one, you'd want to avoid ever doing it again -- so you're less likely to make a mistake in a production environment! icon_lol.gif

After you upgrade the 2507 -- if you have a back-to-back crossover serial cable for the routers -- you could try setting it up as a TFTP server and upgrade the 2501 from that..... not quite the learning experience of xmodem, but still very useful.
  • Options
    Thanks, I got the 2507 upgraded. I went to upgrade the 2501 to find out I didn't have enough flash (damn ebay seller lied to me)

Anyways, whats the quickest way to remove all passwords on the router? (ie. exec, privledge, remote login etc..)

I have it set to password, password2 at the moment but I prefer to have it blank like before. I was forced to put in a password when I was configuring the ethernet interfaces.
  • Options
    spfdz wrote:
    I went to upgrade the 2501 to find out I didn't have enough flash (damn ebay seller lied to me)

Anyways, whats the quickest way to remove all passwords on the router? (ie. exec, privledge, remote login etc..)
    Are you sure the flash isn't partitioned? What does a show version show?

Easiest way to erase all passwords is do an erase startup and a reboot icon_lol.gif
    .... otherwise the "no" versions of the login and enable password/secret commands.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    spfdz wrote:
    I went to upgrade the 2501 to find out I didn't have enough flash (damn ebay seller lied to me)

Are you sure the flash isn't partitioned? What does a show version show?

Easiest way to erase all passwords is do an erase startup and a reboot icon_lol.gif
    .... otherwise the "no" versions of the login and enable password/secret commands.

Well I was going through the IOS upgrade and I got to the point where it says do you want to erase all flash, I said yeah so it was erased. It started to transfer the flash from the tftp server then said not enough room.

I restarted the router, I noticed in the tftp server, the router was requesting cisco2-2500 so I just renamed a older 11.x firmware to it and it semed to be fine after that. When I used show flash it said like 8mb of read/writeable memory.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you can upgrade the ram and flash cheaply at

http://www.anthonypanda.com

he is in china and i upgraded all my router thru him ....
    rm -rf /