Options

Installing new 2003 server with domain.com......

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
Currently we have a 2000 AD server setup as domain.local

I want to setup a 2003 domain controller for domain.com

Is this possible to do while both computers are on the same network? Will there be any conflicts? I want to move the users from domain.local to domain.com. I am not looking to keep the users profiles from domain.local. I will just be totally starting over from domain.com

Will this work without problems?

Currently the server info is as posted.

main.skurlas.local ip address 192.168.0.10

I want to setup denali.skurlas.com to point to 192.168.0.44 and be the main DC Controller.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should not have any problems with that plan. Once you set up your new DC just migrate your computer accounts over. Since you are not going to migrate users, but just create new ones, it should be easy.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If you don't migrate the user accounts though, user profiles on WS will have to be copied to the new user profile. Even if the names are the same, they will have different SIDs if they are recreated rather than migrated and so the WS will see them as totally different users.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danman32 wrote:
    If you don't migrate the user accounts though, user profiles on WS will have to be copied to the new user profile. Even if the names are the same, they will have different SIDs if they are recreated rather than migrated and so the WS will see them as totally different users.
    I believe he said he was going to start over from scratch.
    TechJunky wrote:
    I want to move the users from domain.local to domain.com. I am not looking to keep the users profiles from domain.local. I will just be totally starting over from domain.com
    TJ - You realize any security and share settings will have to be redone with regard to user permissions, for reasons Danman poinited out?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Ah, I missed "I am not looking to keep the users profiles from domain.local"
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Ok, so the new domain is up and running, I created a new user and he can access 2 out of the 3 databases, the 3rd database is a pain. I changed all the pointing and now I am running into a permission issue. It says that Btrieve Status 94 - application has encountered a permission error.

So i check the share that the user is trying to access, he has modify permissions, however, the folder itself is set to read-only on the general tab. I tried unchecking read-only but it wont take it. I go to check the folder properties and its checked again... I changed ownership to the Domain Admin and tried unchecking the read-only and it still wont take...

Any ideas?

The database was in use on the other server when I copied the files over....

I am kind of stumped.

I also went on each local computer and copied the profiles... So all I have to do is create the new users account, login them into the new domain and then copy the old profile over the new one that was created. Wala, their links work just fine again.

Ok, I checked the other databases that are working and they have the read-only checked so its not the read only problem... Plus 2003 sets read only by default... So I am thinking its the SQL database for this particular database... It works fine on the other server/sql pervasive database...

I am not a script kiddie and I am not really even sure how to add the databases via SQL... It allows me to set a