Remote Desktop

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

We use remote desktop in our school to connect to the servers, also i often connect to my colleagues PC if he has brought anything in i would like a copy of. What happened last week was when i tried to connect to his machine SUPPORT-03, i got a totally different machine MUSIC-03, and when i tried to connect to MUSIC-03 i also got that same machine. That particular machine had 2 network cards in it so when i removed 1 of them it fixed it. But.......Now when i try to connect to SUPPORT-03 i get another machine on our network ART-MOBILE. And yes when i connect to ART-MOBILE i connect to that same machine.

I dont know how remote desktop can connect to the same machine using 2 different names.

Can anyone help

Lee H
.

Comments

  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Do you connect by name or ip?
    witty comment
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    connecting by name using Remote Desktop application
    .
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Could be a DNS problem then. Check the DNS record for that name and see if there is some problem with it. And try connecting by IP; if you can, you can be sure that it is a name problem. See if the A record is associated with the right address.
    witty comment
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    hey omni thanks for the reply, am not sure how i connect by IP and how do i check that the A record is associated with the right address
    .
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    just connected using SUPPORT-03's IP and i did connect to his PC, but when i try to connect using his machine name it gets ART-MOBILE. Also i found the A list and there are 2 entries for the same IP for ART-MOBILE and SUPPORT-03


    Is the solution to do with the setting found on this page

    "Zone Aging And Scavenging properties"
    .
  • TeKniquesTeKniques OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, CISA, SSCP, MCSE (03), Security+, Network+, A+, Project+ Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On the DNS server open the DNS console and go into the Forward Lookup Zone for the domain. Find the A records and remove them. Remove the PTR records as well in the Reverse Lookup Zone.

    Recreate the A records and choose to recreate the PTR records at the same time. I would think this would resolve the problem.

    Good luck.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Problem solved

    DNS forward lookup zones, right click domain name choose properties, on the general tab where it says Dynamic Updates ours was set to Secure Only when it should be Non Secure and Secure.

    Tekniques gets the coconut he was closest.

    Lee H
    .
Sign In or Register to comment.