Options

ICND2 test material - Todd Lamle book worth buying for the test?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm renewing my CCNA, so I'm already familiar with a lot of the material. But a lot has changed and has been added since my last test. I don't mind spending money on a book as long as it's going to prepare me for the test. I've had some books in the past wind up being poor preparation for testing, either with a lot of info in the test not in the book, or a lot of info in the book that's not on the test. Is "CCNA ICND2 Study Guide, Third Edition" worth it? I wonder if I should just zero in on the new/changed information from 2016 and focus on that.

Comments

• Options
    ps.89ps.89 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Me personally, I would go with the Cisco Press Books by Wendell Odom. I've read books from both authors for my ICND1 and both are great. However, I feel that Odom's book prepared me more. Like others have said before, Lammle's is for those that are inexperienced and need help comprehending difficult concepts, whereas Odom's is more dry and straight to the point. I prefer Odom's way. Since you're renewing your CCNA, this is more of a refresher for you so you probably want just the information and none of the fluff.
    2021 Year Goals: CCNP Enterprise Core; finish a Python video course
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ps.89 said:
    Me personally, I would go with the Cisco Press Books by Wendell Odom. I've read books from both authors for my ICND1 and both are great. However, I feel that Odom's book prepared me more. Like others have said before, Lammle's is for those that are inexperienced and need help comprehending difficult concepts, whereas Odom's is more dry and straight to the point. I prefer Odom's way. Since you're renewing your CCNA, this is more of a refresher for you so you probably want just the information and none of the fluff.
    The Todd Lammle book is like 300 pages shorter and contains all the information you need to pass, so I don't know how you worked that out.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For my first time, I preferred Wendell Odom because he seemed more thorough to me and I wanted the "scenic route" and it worked out well. But for a renewal, I think I'd go for one of those 31-days before books. Arm chair suggestions over here, since I haven't yet renewed a R&S by taking a R&S-based exam.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP