Now that I finally qualify for CISSP, I don't have much drive to go after it

yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
So strange, I remember several years ago having CISSP as one of my ultimate capstone cert goals. Well here I am, 5+ years experience down the road, and I find myself studying other things instead.

I don't understand why I'm not jumping up and down with excitement. Maybe it's because I'm already happily employed in infosec. That and my employer wants me to pursue OSCP. I don't have much of a point to this post and I guess it's just weird how my perspective has changed over those slow 5 years. I could probably scratch CCIE and PhD off that list too now.
A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
In progress: OSCP

Comments

• scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Perspectives change in life, hard work was done when you past - getting from there to now was only a matter of time. Enjoy your current role and strive for OSCP. 
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    pretty much what @scasc said

we change and evolve. Our interests change too. You’ve done really well. Who knows, you might pick it up later when the time’s right
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certs are funny like that. If you need experience to earn it you probably won't need it when the time comes. At least you know you can take it if you ever decide to.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited September 2019
    Sounds like you might be happy where you are at atm.  Nothing wrong there!! 

And that you have an employer that is looking for you improve and has a plan for you.  No need to rush to get the CISSP from what I see.  (unless you plan on looking elsewhere that is) 
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It probably makes more sense at the early career stage where it would be more beneficial to advance. 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    yoba222 said:
    So strange, I remember several years ago having CISSP as one of my ultimate capstone cert goals. Well here I am, 5+ years experience down the road, and I find myself studying other things instead.

I don't understand why I'm not jumping up and down with excitement. Maybe it's because I'm already happily employed in infosec. That and my employer wants me to pursue OSCP. I don't have much of a point to this post and I guess it's just weird how my perspective has changed over those slow 5 years. I could probably scratch CCIE and PhD off that list too now.
    If your employers goals are blocking you form pursuing your PhD that sucks dude.  The PhD opens opportunities for you in high cyber security leadership.  You should communicate that to your employer in my opinion.

The second point I want to make is that your perspective with driving forward with new goals should never change.  It should always be go after the next thing.  Matter of fact that should be your default perspective.  If you change it to a relaxed state you'll recede not just in cyber security but in life generally.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like others have said, priorities change. It's a little easier these days to get a security job than it was even 5 years ago. CISSP is still a good milestone to have, but if you don't have any benefit from it either for a better job or to learn something (pfft), then why bother?

I will say there are a few other intangibles that may matter to you or not. The first being how quickly you can be found and pinged by recruiters as they search up CISSP. Maybe that's useful to you, or not.

Also, if you're ever part of a small team or company (even your own!), it may be worth something to the company to be able to say they have "2 CISSPs on staff." If you get that OSCP, that's another thing people like to pimp a little bit.

Overall, if your experience fuels your standing with recruiters or job hunting prospects and the CISSP really won't add anything, don't do it. :) It's been too long since I got mine, but it wasn't fun then and it has never sounded fun to anyone today yet either.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?