Cybrary vs. Pentester Academy

srothmansrothman Posts: 4Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm busy moving into a more security-focussed role (from a cloud architect role), and I'm pushing hard to get my security certification and experience ramped up, specifically in the space of cloud security. I'm considering joining either Cybrary or Pentester Academy, specifically for the guided labs. At this point I haven't really settled on a specific specialization, i.e. pen testing, SOC analysis, general consulting, etc. and I'm sort of testing the water in terms of further development.

Can anyone recommend one over the other, and why? I'm currently preparing for my CCSP and will likely attempt it at the end of this month, from where I will decide what's next. I recently passed my CCSK v4 and AZ-500 exams as well, as some context.

Suggestions on any other quality resources also very welcome.

TIA

Comments

  • MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Junior Member Posts: 153Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited September 5
    srothman said:
    Hi all,

    I'm busy moving into a more security-focussed role (from a cloud architect role), and I'm pushing hard to get my security certification and experience ramped up, specifically in the space of cloud security. I'm considering joining either Cybrary or Pentester Academy, specifically for the guided labs. At this point I haven't really settled on a specific specialization, i.e. pen testing, SOC analysis, general consulting, etc. and I'm sort of testing the water in terms of further development.

    Can anyone recommend one over the other, and why? I'm currently preparing for my CCSP and will likely attempt it at the end of this month, from where I will decide what's next. I recently passed my CCSK v4 and AZ-500 exams as well, as some context.

    Suggestions on any other quality resources also very welcome.

    TIA
     :/ 

    I don't think anyone can recommend a job that you will be doing on a day-to-day basis. It's like me telling you what options on the new 2020 Chevrolet Corvette you should purchase on your car (that you'll be paying for). 

    I don't remember how I felt about Pentester Academy at one point in life when I had a subscription. So, I can't give an honest review on it at this moment in time. What I will say is follow your heart. If you don't know what you want to specialize in nobody else can tell you what to specialize in.

    Personally I don't think the 39 a month for pen tester academy is expensive. I pay more for LinkedIn Premium a month  :)

    Spend the money for 1 month to get a fill for all of the monthly subscription based services that you are interested in and see where you are the most happiest. 
  • yoba222yoba222 Posts: 1,003Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Disclaimer: Haven't yet done any Pentester Academy.

    Well considering that Cybrary is an aggregate of many courses/instructors, whereas I believe Pentester academy is just from one (well-regarded) source, you're likely to get some solid training in Cybrary and also some crap.

    That said, I'm surprised how much cloud security stuff is on Linux Academy these days, which I've recently discovered. But LA may be a bit too lite on pentesting/SOC analysis for your needs. Why not pick and choose a specific course or two from both Cybrary and then Pentester Academy?
    2017: GCIH | LFCS
    2018: CySA+ | PenTest+ |CCNA CyberOps
    2019: VHL 20 boxes
    2020: OSCP | CISSP
  • tedjamestedjames Scruffy-looking nerfherdr Posts: 1,021Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Or, instead of doing either of those, to see if you might like penetration testing, take a course on Udemy. They regularly have sales with many courses costing less than $20. Check out this listing: https://www.udemy.com/user/zaidsabih/ I'm very happy with the courses of his that I've taken. Right now, the prices are kind of high, but if create an account, you'll receive discounts. If you start a course and realize you don't like it, it's not that big of a loss.
  • srothmansrothman Posts: 4Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    MrsWilliams said:
    I don't think anyone can recommend a job that you will be doing on a day-to-day basis. It's like me telling you what options on the new 2020 Chevrolet Corvette you should purchase on your car (that you'll be paying for). 

    Thanks. The request for a recommendation was more towards a training provider rather than a role, that one I'll figure out myself. I agree, it's not too much, I'm just fishing for opinions :)

    yoba222 said:
    That said, I'm surprised how much cloud security stuff is on Linux Academy these days, which I've recently discovered.

    I used to be a member there, haven't thought of that, will check it out, thanks.

    tedjames said:
    Or, instead of doing either of those, to see if you might like penetration testing, take a course on Udemy. They regularly have sales with many courses costing less than $20.

    I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation.
  • chrisonechrisone CISSP, CRTP, eCPPT, LFCS, CEH, Azure Fundamentals, Retired Cisco NPs Posts: 1,861Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pentester Academy has its own certifications and will not guide you for any 3rd party certifications, let alone ISC2 cloud certifications.

    Cybrary, probably has some CCSP courses. 

    https://acloud.guru/
    Guru has courses focused on AWS, Azure, Google Cloud technologies. 
    2019 Goals:
    Courses: Real World Red Team Attacks- AppSec Cali 2019 (complete), Active Directory Attacks for Red and Blue Teams Advanced Edition - BlackHat (completed),
    Certs: Certified Red Team Professional - Pentester Academy (passed!), Azure Fundamentals AZ-900 (passed!), Azure Security Engineer Associate AZ-500 (in-progress)
Sign In or Register to comment.