Options

routers & switches for CCNA ?.

macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I'm a newbie to cisco products. I'm preparing and plan to write CCNA within 2 months, which routers & switches (2500 series & catalyst 1900 ?) are required for the upcoming CCNA exams ?.

thanks in advance.

mac

Comments

• Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    if you have no plans to go past ccna I would get a couple old 2500 routers and one or two 2912 or 2924 series switches. If you plan to go to go farther such as CCNP then I would suggest buying 2600 routers with a 2950 switch.

A good site is ebay.com or if you hate bidding like me www.ciscokits.com is good but you have to pay a bit more then what you might get it on ebay for.

This is like the 10th million thread on this question though. The search function comes in handy :P :D
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Maybe someone should sticky one?? You may get frustrated with questions, but his is not a dumb question.

I asked a guy taking his CCIE for advice.. Imagine how beneath his skillset my newbie question was. Mike 4theWin.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, I plan to take CCNP or Juniper after gaining enough experience.
    ....... 2912 or 2924 series switches

I can get access to three 2500 series & only one catalyst 1900 switch during weekends for a nominal fee :D. Does it fulfill the requirements for the latest CCNA ?.

Should i get experience with more routers & switches ? ( say 4 routers & 8 switches).

And finally which exam path should i chose composite exam or INTRO & ICND exams ?.

The search function comes in handy :P :D

sorry, i couldn't find the answers in 10 min icon_cry.gif
    Trailerisf wrote:
    Maybe someone should sticky one??

Yes Please
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I was told by Mike to get 2950 series switches (2 of them) if I plan on continuing to CCNP. He got his cheap, I bought mine for $300 each on EBAY. Kinda steep.

I have a couple 2505 routers, a 1721, and a 1600 (havent looked at the model #)

I will of course buy more as I go along. I'm clueless at this point to the specs on the routers I have compared to what I need to use. I wont begin my Cicso path for a couple more months. (Once I finish off my mcse)

(Sucks that I have a csu/dsu module on the 1721... gots to buy a new module icon_sad.gif )
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?