the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
top2520#erase flash:1
Erasing the flash:1 filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]
Erasing device... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...erased
Erase of flash:1: complete
top2520#erase flash:2
Erasing the flash:2 filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]
%dev_open: System flash not writable
%Error erasing flash:2: (Device is read-only)
top2520#

another thing.
the router I bought came with 2 IOS with a "partition flash 2 8 8". I forgot to do "no partition flash 2 8 8" before I erase the fist IOS. I don't if this is the reason that I can't erase the 2nd IOS.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, the partition isnt the problem,but remove the second partition if you dont use it.It's not possible to erase the current flash while the system is running( i dont know why because the ios is copied into dram on startup,probably its just a safety feature so your box always has an ios incase of reboot).
    Anyway its been along time since i did this but i'll try to put you on the right track.To load a new ios you need to boot your router in rommon mode,this is done by preforming a break seq at startup,u prob know this already.
    At the rommon prompt, type 'set' and you should see the current settings, modify IP address paramnets using the set command, i.e. set ip address etc,just use the ? remember to have a trft server connected to the eth port of the router with the appropriate ios image.
    As i dont have my routers here so i cant check but if im wrong about the set command its maybe a little diffent but with the ? at roommn you will figure out the commands easily.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    He is attempting to delete the running IOS and thus the failure. Ed's solution will accomplish what ya want. I believe the 2500 runs the IOS from flash where the 2600 and newer load to RAM but it has been years since I messed with 2500s.

Yankee
  • Options
    the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
    thanx, guys. I've got it done. Now all 3 2520s are in IOS 12.3.

thanks, ed, and yankee....by the way, a yankee in DC huh?

Cardinals are pretty good so far.