Options

2 questions related to transport layer

eng_ahmedaseng_ahmedas Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All
I wish u r all in a very good health.I wish u could help me with those 2 questions about transport layer.

1) For layer 4 converstion to happen, each of the source and destination must have a pair of socket contain port number and network address.

My question : Is the port number and network address contained in the socket of the source (for example) are port number and network address of source or destination ????

2) when i telnet to the router from command prompt (start --> run ---> cmd ---> telnet x.x.x.x) and then issue the command "netstat -n" , i found information about this session that it is established, but when i telnet to router through web browser and issue the command , i didn't found any information about this session

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1) For layer 4 converstion to happen, each of the source and destination must have a pair of socket contain port number and network address.

My question : Is the port number and network address contained in the socket of the source (for example) are port number and network address of source or destination ????
    The port numbers will be different, for instance if you wnt to telnet to a remote device you might have a source 192.168.1.1/24: 1025 and a destination 192.168.2.1/24: 23, as you can see you are trying to access the telnet port on the remote station so you need the well known port number of the destination i.e. 23, for the source you can use a range of available port numbers over 1024, the application your running will pick the next available port to use.Maybe you should check the available port ranges as im giving a rough guideline.
    For question 2 i'll leave that for someone else!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Dumb question, maybe. How are you telnetting in through a browser?
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.