Options

Out of 10 only 3 engineers are skilled so are you a proper skilled engineer ?

Vaidehivasava1Vaidehivasava1 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
edited December 2019 in Off-Topic
There is so much of unemployment at the same time there is so much vacany but there are no skilled labour why so?

Comments

• Options
    Vaidehivasava1Vaidehivasava1 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I am a skilled engineer
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is there a link to an article or something?  Where did this come from?
  • Options
    Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Based on just this, I can most definitely tell that I am NOT a skilled engineer.

In all seriousness, I think the big reason why we see conflicting reports of job openings and job shortages in cybersecurity comes down to location and seniority. Most of the reports I've seen that talk about rampant job openings are in the Washington DC area, and they're almost always talking about senior-level security positions. The reason these jobs stay vacant is because those employers can't find someone with the skills/experience necessary to fill the role.

To a lesser degree, I've also heard of cybersecurity unemployment in certain cases. This normally comes from areas that are not tech hubs, where security jobs in general are a little more scarce, and the ones that do exist are mostly entry-level SOC stuff. These cybersecurity jobs are mainly located around tech hubs, so it's going to be much easier to find a job in Silicon Valley and the DC area than somewhere like Nashville, Tennessee. I'm not saying you're completely SOL if you live in Nashville, but you're going to have to work a little harder to land a job in cybersecurity.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited December 2019
    There is so much of unemployment 
    Isn't unemployment rate at its lowest in like 50 years?
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Based on just this, I can most definitely tell that I am NOT a skilled engineer.

In all seriousness, I think the big reason why we see conflicting reports of job openings and job shortages in cybersecurity comes down to location and seniority. Most of the reports I've seen that talk about rampant job openings are in the Washington DC area, and they're almost always talking about senior-level security positions. The reason these jobs stay vacant is because those employers can't find someone with the skills/experience necessary to fill the role.
    Having been on the inside of this particular area, from my experience these roles are vacant because:

1. Nobody wants to live or work in DC
    2. The pay is atrocious for the cost of living. I had a few job offers from the DC area one of which was a web pentester starting at 108k.... in DC...... ya... no thanks.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    McxRisley said:

Having been on the inside of this particular area, from my experience these roles are vacant because:

2. The pay is atrocious for the cost of living. I had a few job offers from the DC area one of which was a web pentester starting at 108k.... in DC...... ya... no thanks.
    I can't understand why you wouldn't want to live in DC, I mean just look at all the 2-bedroom apartments under $1500/mo in rent! </sarcasm>

Who we are | What we do
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do not know what you base your information on but from my experience this is what I have experienced in my location YMMV (Remote is different):

To qualify for a mid level position:
    - A BS in IT / CS may be required. Others just require a BS or BA, not specific.
    - 3 to 5 years of experience in the respective field/domain is required
    - Mid level certifications are required.
    - Sometimes specific experience is required (this is to fit someone the manage knows to fit the bill)

Not everyone will have the education or experience and that is where the problem occurs.

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    McxRisley said:

I can't understand why you wouldn't want to live in DC, I mean just look at all the 2-bedroom apartments under $1500/mo in rent! </sarcasm>

LOL but my understanding is most of the businesses needing IT professionals are not actually in DC proper but the suburbs area mostly in Virginia. And those are hella expensive areas. Almost as expensive as NYC but much cheaper than say Tokyo or Singapore. Haha I'd be wary of a $1500/ month two bedroom apartment in the DC area.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    ...so it's going to be much easier to find a job in Silicon Valley and the DC area than somewhere like Nashville, Tennessee...

Yes, but there are still Cybersecurity jobs in nicer, more inexpensive places like TN, NC, and GA. I just had a friend take a SOC job with FedEx in Memphis, TN. There are also cybersecurity opportunities in Nashville and Knoxville for people willing to live in those communities. You just need to not be in a hurry to find your next opportunity and keep looking.
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    Yes, but there are still Cybersecurity jobs in nicer, more inexpensive places like TN, NC, and GA. I just had a friend take a SOC job with FedEx in Memphis, TN. There are also cybersecurity opportunities in Nashville and Knoxville for people willing to live in those communities. You just need to not be in a hurry to find your next opportunity and keep looking.
    Good point! I tried to word my comment in a way that indicated it's possible but a little trickier to land a cybersecurity job outside of these tech hubs. Honestly, a cybersecurity job in a non-tech city would probably be more my speed anyways. I, for one, happen to value my work/life balance.
    Who we are | What we do