Passed Security+

a_game_of_youa_game_of_you Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed Security+ today w/ an 884. Felt it was really easy. A lot of it is common sense. I study for all exams w/ a friend and use a similar method for each. We each buy a different book. This time I used the All-In-One and he used Sybex. We each read through our books and highlight as we go. Then we switch. We also used Tac's ExamInsight and the TechNotes on this site, which are great (if only they were complete)! After reading through both books we hit as many questions as we can find and any other resources we've found that seem relevant. I also downloaded the objectives and made a comprehensive study guide from all of our resources and topics from questions that I haven't seen. I will usually schedule an exam for a Monday afternoon and cram all weekend and that morning. It's generally a 2 month process. Read books for a month and then hit questions and create a study guide for the next month. Everything should be finished by the final weekend and then we just cram. So far so good! Next up is 70-299 to finish the MCSA Security Specialization. Hope to turn it over in the next 2-3 months.
Next up: 70-299

Comments

• lightweightlightweight Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats....nice score too!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

btw, I'm still working on finalizing the remaining Security+ TechNotes...
  • hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    Congrats! All of that cramming is defiantly worth it!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats!
    I hope to pass myself here on Wednesday.... I wish I felt more prepared honestly... If I fail I will have to study more and try again.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Webmaster wrote:

I can't wait! If all goes as planned, I'll be working on retaking Security+ in the beginning of July. Depending how comfortable I am with the subject after reading your technotes, I may go for it on 7/4, otherwise 7/10. If I have to read through the Syngress book, that will take me a while. I originally studied with Sybex 2nd ed and was suprised I didn't pass 1st time.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like your disciplined method of study. Must be nice to have someone to study with. Great job!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • a_game_of_youa_game_of_you Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:

Your notes are very helpful. Easily some of the best information out of everything I studied. I'm very appreciative.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I like your disciplined method of study. Must be nice to have someone to study with. Great job!

Thanks man. I feel like the method I described works extremely well. To me having someone to study with is best thing you can do to improve your chances of passing any exam. They will keep you motivated and will inevitably see or understand a topic in a different way than you do. I probably wouldn't have most of these certs if I was going it alone. I honestly don't think I'd be able to motivate myself. We have taken 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 and now Security+ together. For the 2003 exams we would stay after work and setup labs to practice everything on. For that I guess it also helps that we work on a large goverment IT contract so there's plenty of equipment around to play with not to mention people to ping on.
    Next up: 70-299
  • DanMan32, I read the Syngress book during my senior year in high school and took the exam shortly after. Syngress definately has the best book out there for studying for Security+. The DVD it comes with is cool too, but it won't really get you prepared like the book will.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki