Options

Missed out today :(

ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Yesterday i applied for a job and i actually was a very suitable candidate considering i matched most of the criteria.

So i applied at around 4 PM and got a call from them at 5 PM asking if i wud be interested (why not?)

But when things came to citizenship - well i am not a citizen here so the phone interviewer said well i wud be very interested to call u but due to the nature of the job we require citizens icon_mad.gif

damn icon_rolleyes.gif that was such a good chance for me with a good salary, right after my Bachelor's and i cud have used it as reference for later jobs icon_sad.gif

i feel so useless
:study:

Comments

• Options
    ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry about that. The feeling of almost landing a job sux. Good luck with future jobs.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Well, you are not useless; you are simply not a citizen of that country and nothing less. Swallow any feelings of self-pity that you may be wallowing in and take heart in that an even better job is awaiting you in the near future.

Make sure that prospective employers know up front that you aren't a citizen so you won't be wasting their time and they won't be needlessly raising your hopes. We have the same problem over here in the USA where many businesses will not hire non-citizens, even if they have H-1B work visas. There's a lot of extra paperwork and legalities involved, and most small and medium-sized businesses don't want to take on the extra risk of screwing up some government-required paperwork. In some professions, like nursing, a large percentage of the workforce are non-citizen, so there's no choice but to hire people with visas.

Are you working with any employment agencies or just cold-calling?
  • Options
    ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    Well, you are not useless; you are simply not a citizen of that country and nothing less. Swallow any feelings of self-pity that you may be wallowing in and take heart in that an even better job is awaiting you in the near future.

Make sure that prospective employers know up front that you aren't a citizen so you won't be wasting their time and they won't be needlessly raising your hopes. We have the same problem over here in the USA where many businesses will not hire non-citizens, even if they have H-1B work visas. There's a lot of extra paperwork and legalities involved, and most small and medium-sized businesses don't want to take on the extra risk of screwing up some government-required paperwork. In some professions, like nursing, a large percentage of the workforce are non-citizen, so there's no choice but to hire people with visas.

Are you working with any employment agencies or just cold-calling?

Thanks for the cool tips JD :) Yeh that was probably my mistake as i think i should somewhere include in my resume or covering letter my visa status.

Right now i am not with any employment agency. I just search for jobs on job sites as majority of the jobs are just not for me (citizenship status). So before i become a citizen i would like to spend time studying as i know there is not much i can gain by applying jobs right now.

But that was my final try for Bach as in Bach we are allowed to work 1 year in any IT company under the supervision of the university. But guess there are not many jobs there in that section right now.

Lets hope for the best once i pass my Master's after 1 year :)

cheers
    :study: