Anyone working in cyber security in the San Antonio area?

roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've just accepted a company transfer from San Diego out to San Antonio. There are a number of pressing reasons for this, but it doesn't hurt
that SA appears to be booming with cyber opportunities. I'm looking to network pretty heavy once I get there and establish myself in the SA cyber community? Any specific meetups, events, companies, or local initiatives in SA to be aware of?

I may try to find a house somewhat near UTSA so I can get involved with teaching, mentoring, or anything else cyber related with the university. I can't believe I've agreed to leave beautiful San Diego, but California is waaaay over priced, crowded, and we have more than a few 'village idiots'. I'm hoping there is more sanity out in Texas. Yeee, haw!
浪人 MSISA:WGU
ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP

Comments

• roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No SA locals here on TE? Ok...networking the old school way then...
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Try meetup.com, local FB groups, events in the area etc.

I hope you like TX, as many leave CA only to realize what they love about southern CA can only be found there.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

I'm thinking 3-5 years max. Housing is on the rise, so if I can get something now at sit on it, it will help me come back to California if we are truly homesick.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm in Austin, so I don't get to participate in too many meetups in other cities, as most are on weeknights. BSides San Antonio is on June 6. The last one was pretty amazing. There are plenty of other BSides conferences all over the state. Bryan/College Station 2/22 is the next one. Austin in April. Houston in September or October. DFW after that. I think there's even one down in the Harlingen or McAllen area. Austin also has LASCON in the fall. There's a big OWASP presence here. Austin's 1 to 1.5 hours away from San Antonio.

I just did a Googly search on "san antonio information security meetings" and found lots of events. Check it out.

By the way, I love San Antonio. It has an incredibly diverse culture. Lots of great things to do and see. Excellent restaurants, etc. You're also a short drive from the Gulf of Mexico (in case you miss the beach).

Thanks for the info. I'll do a bit more digging when I get some time. I've been to SA as a kid, but it was my favorite spot in Texas. (I loved Brenham, TX too for the famous BlueBell ice cream).
    Austin is nice and close by, and New Braunfels. I'm sure I'll be there often as I have some family up there.