Options

need ur advice..plz.

..noora....noora.. Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear all,
I'm a new member and I need your advice in prepearing for CCNA.
I haven't taken any course in networking but currently I registered in a CCNA course but the question is "am I going to be able to pass the exam?!!"
please..help me with some resources for sample exams or by suugesting some books that will help me as a bigenner.

Thank you all and I'm looking forward to hear from you.

--Noora

Comments

• Options
    MCSACCNAwannabeMCSACCNAwannabe Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If it's a good course, I think you will be well on your way. Hopefully it will have a book that you can review. You should also buy a simulator or get some real hands-on experience. The main thing is study, study, study!
    Michael A. Marshall
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get as much hands on experience as you can in the course. I would also suggest buying some routers/switches for a home lab. There are some good threads on here for equipment to buy and it really enforces what you study in the book.

I would suggest starting out by knowing the OSI layer inside and out and how it matches with the TCP/IP suite. Once you have a good feel for that master encapsulation. Try to run through internetwork scenerios and what happens to the data and PDU's as it travels from computer A to computer B

This will really help give you a good foundation when you are learning routing\switching fundamentals and begin configuring your test lab

GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    Im curious at the moment, If I can run through the techexams practice exams, missing none(not by memerization), and go through the practice labs on cisco prep with missing 1-3 out of the 18-20ish in there practice, would you say your prepared for the exam? The thing Im scared of is for the exam, they say simlets, I imagine them saying "Ok set up router 1 with switch 1 as 3 vlans, with port 1-3 in vlan 1, 4-6 in vlan 2 and so on...." Then something like set this router up for frame relay. Am I over thinking the sims and things, or should I know how to set up a frame relay step by step in my head.

If I can use the "?" command, I can walk through the VLAN set up, the frame relay is astill alittle tricky.
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should know how to setup frame relay. You have acccess to the ? command on the exam, but remember time is a factor as well. Good Luck!
  • Options
    ..noora....noora.. Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for replaying. :D
    I feel that the course is v.good or even excellent and I'm planning to buy this book "Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)" by Todd Lammle. So shall I go for it and buy it or if anyone has tryied it, is it a good one that will help me in prepearing for the CCNA? From your experince, is there better books?!

Thanks,

--noora
  • Options
    chinamanchinaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 167
    That book is good, just read it very well and if you're confuse then you can ask for a help in this forum.
  • Options
    MCSACCNAwannabeMCSACCNAwannabe Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend Todd's book. I actually have two copies, V4 and V5. There are also two additional chapters that you can download from Sybex. I took his CCNA track at TechMentor in Orlando in March and it was great. His teaching style is very easy to follow, he knows the topic inside and out and he really focuses on what you need to know for the exam. My Introduction to Routers professor recertified his CCNA a couple of months ago. He said he used Todd's Quick Pass book as a review and then used the full Study Guide to clarify some points.
    Michael A. Marshall
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    I like the Examcram series more. The sybex book likes to use terms in through out the book that he doesn't define or explain till toward the end of the book.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    nuglobe wrote:
    I like the Examcram series more. The sybex book likes to use terms in through out the book that he doesn't define or explain till toward the end of the book.

I noticed this also..Like he will mention a term, then 2 chapters later define the term. Had me checking the glossary alot, thinking I had missed something or didnt remember what it was. Other then that, it was good. The labs included are basic so far, good practice.
    70-291 Next....
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    Oh, I ment ExamPrep.. not exam cram.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)