MCSA/MCSE certs are retiring

_netmon_netmon Level 99 WizardMod Posts: 878 Mod
Microsoft confirmed the MCSA/MCSE/MCSD certifications are retiring June 30, 2020.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/retired-certifications.aspx
2020 goals: Server 2016 MCSA/MCSE (70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744), Powershell training
2021 goals: RHCSA/RHCE, AWS, Python training

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others Member Posts: 493 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's much sooner than anticipated. Microsoft is really forcing O365 and Azure down your throat. 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc CISSP, CHFI, CEH, MCSA Server 2008, Project+, Security+ce, Server+, Network+, A+ King City, CAMember Posts: 641 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My work bought the Voucher and Practice exam for 70-743 upgrade.  I was planning on taking it around August, but I guess I gotta make some study schedule changes.  :-/
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • beadsbeads Senior Member Member Posts: 1,502 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikey88 said:
    That's much sooner than anticipated. Microsoft is really forcing O365 and Azure down your throat. 

Not only Azure but if you look deep into the long term plans you will see a definite trend toward traditional Linux based servers and workstations, starting with SQL 2019.

Azure maybe expensive compared to AWS but certainly has its advantages and disadvantages as well.

- b/eads
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 79 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So the effort, time and hundreds of dollars that I've spent to learn Windows Server 2016 went in vain? such a shame.

• chrisonechrisone Senior Member Member Posts: 2,006 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Azure and O365 going forward everyone needs to adapt (networking, security, administration, webapp, identity management, storage, automation, AI, etc)
    Certs: CISSP, OSCP, CRTP, eCPPT, LFCS, CEH, AZ-900, VHL:Advanced+, Retired Cisco CCNP/SP/DP
    2020 Goals:
    Courses: VHL (completed), CQURE: Windows Security Crash Course (completed), eLearnSecurity: WAPTv3 (in-progress), eLearnSecurity: IHRP (completed), BlackHills InfoSec: Breaching the Cloud
    Certs: VHL: Advanced+ (completed), OSCP (completed), SLAE32, OSCE, AZ-500 (in-progress), MS-500, eLearnSecurity: eWPT, eLearnSecurity: eCIR (in-progress)
  • _netmon_netmon Level 99 Wizard Mod Posts: 878 Mod
    chrisone said:
    Azure and O365 going forward everyone needs to adapt (networking, security, administration, webapp, identity management, storage, automation, AI, etc)
    Adapting isn't the issue, it's the people affected who are half way through their MCSA certs (like me) who need to pick the pace up and rush it now so money and time hasn't gone to waste.
    2020 goals: Server 2016 MCSA/MCSE (70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744), Powershell training

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 79 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chrisone said:
    Adapting isn't the issue, it's the people affected who are half way through their MCSA certs (like me) who need to pick the pace up and rush it now so money and time hasn't gone to waste.

I am in the same boat, but I have one question, why bother taking the remaining exam (s) anymore since they are going to expire, and it seems there is no transition certificate (at least nothing has been announced by MicroSoft).
    If you get the MCSA/E before June it stays on your CV until support for the product has ended. 

• MHamimMHamim Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do both O365 and Azure have their own MCSA track?
    chrisone said:
    Hasn't gone to waste, many companies will still utilize on-prem infrastructure. However there are many companies already in a hybrid environment with intentions of moving fully to the cloud. 

Good luck on rushing to the deadline, but it seems like Microsoft already made the decision for you guys. Why spend more money on it? 
    Certs: CISSP, OSCP, CRTP, eCPPT, LFCS, CEH, AZ-900, VHL:Advanced+, Retired Cisco CCNP/SP/DP
    2020 Goals:
    Courses: VHL (completed), CQURE: Windows Security Crash Course (completed), eLearnSecurity: WAPTv3 (in-progress), eLearnSecurity: IHRP (completed), BlackHills InfoSec: Breaching the Cloud
    Certs: VHL: Advanced+ (completed), OSCP (completed), SLAE32, OSCE, AZ-500 (in-progress), MS-500, eLearnSecurity: eWPT, eLearnSecurity: eCIR (in-progress)
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 353 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So much for trying to complete my MCSE Data Management. I have one exam left but am not entirely sure it's worth bothering with. Decisions, decisions......
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 920 ■■■■■■□□□□
    WOW!

"It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good" ~ Danny Carey
    2020 Goal ~ Linux+
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Mod Posts: 2,820 Mod
    I think Microsoft is making a mistake doing away with the MCSA/E nomenclature like they did with the MCITP some years back. They should stick with the MCSA/E Azure, O365 instead of just Microsoft Certified.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc CISSP, CHFI, CEH, MCSA Server 2008, Project+, Security+ce, Server+, Network+, A+ King City, CAMember Posts: 641 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Looks like there's a little more information now:

"Q: If Microsoft is focused on role-based certifications, what will happen to Windows Server and SQL Server certifications? Will there be Windows Server 2019 and SQL Server 2019 certifications available?
    A: No, there will not be Windows Server 2019 and SQL Server 2019 certifications. Windows Server 2019 and SQL Server 2019 content will be included in role-based certifications on an as-needed basis for certain job roles in the Azure Apps & Infrastructure and Data & AI solution areas."
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I’ve been away for a while now and was looking for information on Server 2016 cents and saw the news about role based certifications. It is so confusing because I was so used to certs based on a product or group of products. I just wanted to get started on a Server 2019 track but it doesn’t seem like there is anything similar now, unless I am missing it. 
    @tpatt100 You are correct, they are no longer going to create Windows or SQL Server specific exams/certs.  Microsoft is switching everything to Role-Based, which looks like everything is based on Azure and Office 365.  Sucks for me because in my environment we don't use either.
    6 weeks to get the 741 complete then 10 for the 742. It's doable, but it's going to be tough. After that, I'm doing away with Microsoft certs for good. 

I'm right there with you @Skyliinez92.  I will focus on more security-centric certifications.  Maybe look into Linux certs as well.
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Member Posts: 118 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is quite a surprise that they finally went for it. 

I had this convo with a contact at Microsoft maybe back in 2015. This was always the long term goal on their side as they are slowing pushing everything to the cloud. They did for businesses by leveraging the feact that licnesing in the cloud is easier and all that bs. 

Now, they will force us and a whole generation entering the workfoce to be cloud savvy if they want to be Microsoft Certified. I don't agree with it at all but that's a solid strategy
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  CISM - 07/20
  • mikey88mikey88 CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others Member Posts: 493 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If the goal is to gain more market share over AWS, is that really the way though? 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Hawk321Hawk321 CCNA R+S, CCNA CyberOPS, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, UBRSS + UBRSA, Proxmox AdvancedAdmin+some other small certs Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Let them....Microsoft does not learn. They still try to force everyone into their expensive cloud.

If M$ really believes they can turn Azure in some kind of a Citrix clone THEY ARE WRONG.
    Aside that, the future is (and past was) Linux in various setups (like containers (but not docker)).

I doubt that more click,click wannabe admins are an advantage ...this is what you get without certs !
    Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• malachi1612malachi1612 Senior Member SwitzerlandMember Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After working in the police force for 9 years back in the UK.  If Microsoft (or Amazon) think everyone is going to give up their data to put on their cloud environment they are going to be in for a shock.

On-prem will never go away because high profile government and security services will always keep their data in house.  For obvious reasons.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP

Hawk321 said:
    I doubt that more click,click wannabe admins are an advantage ...this is what you get without certs !
    I am interested to hear more about this statement. So there are no certs for Azure and everything is GUI based?
    2020 Goals:
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 353 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @malachi1612
    Totally agree with you. A lot of countries in my region are actually getting more strict about data localisation so, unless Microsoft intend to setup sites in our part of the world, chances are we have to start looking at other options. In as much as the cloud is "safe" governments generally want their data stored and handled within their jurisdiction.
  • Swift6Swift6 RHCE, RHCSA, LPIC-2, LPIC-1, SCA, Linux+, Network+, CWTS ScotlandMember Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Shame for candidates already working towards these certs. Doesn't make sense retiring Server 2012 and Server 2016 certs at the same time.
  • joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Senior Member Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a network guy, but I was wanting to do MCSA or MCSE to become more rounded. I really don't have any interest in the O365 stuff besides using it at a user level. So Microsoft certs just lost their appeal to me.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 420 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Trying to force everybody to use Azure is just dumb!!

Fail, fail fail!! I will not be doing anymore MS certs after my MCSE expires. All of these companies are just getting greedy with the certs.

Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • beadsbeads Senior Member Member Posts: 1,502 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kaiju said:
    Trying to force everybody to use Azure is just dumb!!

Fail, fail fail!! I will not be doing anymore MS certs after my MCSE expires. All of these companies are just getting greedy with the certs.

On prem is going away and looking at the long term evolution of Windows server you can clearly see Windows Server is being replaced by Linux variants, for example SQL 2019 is a Linux server. I am fine with Azure for HIPAA, Healthcare and EHR. Not to mention when architected properly is often much less expensive than AWS, depending on the underlying technology of course.

The larger problem is that there is less ability to train people into underlying technologies before throwing them directly into cloud. Fine for highly experienced techs with years of server level experience but going straight into DevOps or Architecture will prove to be punishing without prior development or server experience to back it up.

As the old song goes... The times, they are a changin'

- b/eads

I'm just finishing off my MCSA then looking forward to starting with AWS and RHCSA!

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unfortunately for the most part techs are going to have to get onboard with Azure if they want to work in a Microsoft environment. Yes, there are exceptions but thats the way MS are pushing. They have decided to be one of the top players in cloud and they are not turning back.
    A lot of the principles learned in MCSA/MCSE will apply so the training is not going to waste. Gear up for deep dive of Powershell and other cloud features and hopefully someone will throw lots of money at you.