no priviledge mode password for 1721

Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello mates. I know I should've known this but I need a quick answer if anybody can help.

I'm trying to get into the priviledge mode on a 1721

router>enable
%No password set
router>

That is what I'm getting, how do I set an enable password if I can't even get to the enable mode?

Thanks for your responses in advance!
INE v4 volume 1

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Login via the console port,you need to set the enable secret password before you telnet to the box.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're on the router, so it isn't a vty login/password issue....

My guess is it's a AAA issue. Use password recovery -- but look at the startup-config first to confirm my wild guess.

So... is that a console connection or vty (telnet) connection? You're not modem'ed into the AUX port - right? Lab or Production router?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your quick responses guys. Unfortunately, I ended up placing a ticket for dispatch.

Now to answer your questions, I telneted to the router, and I couldn't do show run or start because I was only loged in as user mode, and yea this is a production router of 1 of our customer's. The field tech that originally configured the router must have forgotten to place the priviledge mode password. The customer didn't have a console cable so I couldn't think of any other way of getting into the router to place a priviledge mode pw.

I'm ccna and I hate to admit that I've never done password recovery yet, just because I always used boson netsim and not real equipment for my ccna. I googled it but didn't get any result for doing password recovery on 1700 series only the 2500/2600 is all I got and I don't know if the process is the same for the 1700.
    INE v4 volume 1