Options

Passed today!

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
I passed with a 780 today!

I had an interesting experience I suppose... Half the questions were very easy. Another 20% were moderately difficult and the rest were actually very tough or very vague.

There were a couple questions that I had a blank stare when I saw them because it was stuff I had not seen in any of my books ect....

I actually ended up marking a lot of questions (around 40) on which I actually had to pick based on either my gut feeling or by narrowing it down to more of just common sense instead of picking apart terminology.

I suggest anyone who takes this test to just remember that there is a lot of material that if you stop and think about it, you will see it's just common sense and the right answer might look too obvious.

I think I'm going to start study now on the CCNA.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good job dude. congrats
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Told you. =D

Good job, you deserved the pass.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    good job
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    Congrats on the pass!!!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool. I'll be taking mine in a couple of weeks. I really haven't studied like I should. Any topics you saw a lot of? Ports, encryption, authentication, etc.?
    Congrats!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I also found a couple of questions that neither of my books (one I purchased after failing), such as IP protocols used by IPSec.

Lots of vauge questions or questions with 2 answers, depending in which direction you were looking at it. Is it a vase, or two people kissing?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the grats :)

Lets see... I had a few questions on Ports, so it is important to know them.
    I had some questions regarding Incident Response.
    Seems like I had more than I wanted of questions dealing with CA's, Digital Certificates and SSL.

I only had a couple questions where I had to Identify the type of encryption... Such as Which of the following is this type of encryption ect....

Definitely know your access control models and some of their other names ect...

I really only saw a couple questions dealing with stuff like viruses, worms, trojans and logic bombs.... Too bad, because those are the one I think I knew the best lol :)

Had only a couple wireless questions.
    Lets see what else....

Isnt it funny how after you take the test you seem to already forget what questions you had....

Hmmm... I know I had some authentication questions but I really can't remember doing them, I just know I had some because they were in the category of missed 1 or more in these categories :)

Hmmm, you should know some of the stuff like Disaster Recovery Plans, BCP and Fire Systems.

Maybe as I remember more details about my test I might give more insight... Let me leave you with the following though.

The Sample questions on CompTIAs website are a good example of what half the questions on teh test are like (in my test experience anyways). The other half of the test seems to be nothing like those samples.

As far as books are concerned, I found the Syngress book to be the most informative however I found that it's practice tests were not CompTIA style at all.

I think the Sybex and Passport books had better practice tests (closer to the CompTIA style) and they were good started book honestly. I think It might be difficult to pass by just reading the Sybex or Passport books by themselves while have no experience in the field.

List of Study Materials used:
    Sybex 2nd Edition (and practice test CD)
    Mike Meyers Passport (and Practice Test CD)
    Syngress
    Techexams.net (Notes and Practice Tests)
    MCMCSE.com (Practice Tests)
    Free-Tests.com (Practice Tests)
    Studyexam4less.com (Quiz package that came with rollover)
    Quick Demo from Preplogic (almost bought it because it looked to be worth getting)
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I like the format of Sybex books, but often they lack depth that Syngress books have. But then, Syngress might be going overboard with detail for some of their books.

I used Sybex exclusively for Security+ and just missed passing. I will be studying out of Syngress once I complete 294. I found Sybex much better than Syngress for 298 though. They followed the test format to the T.
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    I like the format of Sybex books, but often they lack depth that Syngress books have. But then, Syngress might be going overboard with detail for some of their books.

I used Sybex exclusively for Security+ and just missed passing. I will be studying out of Syngress once I complete 294. I found Sybex much better than Syngress for 298 though. They followed the test format to the T.

I do have to say that the Sybex book was more on topic than the Syngress book. The Syngress did throw a lot of info at you that I don't think is going to be on the test.

I think that if the Sybex book is the only book you will get then you you should at least get as many practice tests as you can and read technotes from websites like this one.

I also have to say that Honestly I found the Sybex and Passport book far easier to read than the Syngress book. I don't know why exactly but it was easier to follow them and keep focused on them. The syngress book while I know it has the most info in it I just could sit there and read it very long I had to keep taking breaks from reading it. So I see where you are coming from on that.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I agree that Syngress is going overboard sometimes, however even after passing S+, I'm still going through the book and reading the tiny details, as well as all of the step-by-step walk-throughs
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats and thanks for the extensive feedback!
    As far as books are concerned, I found the Syngress book to be the most informative however I found that it's practice tests were not CompTIA style at all.
    I agree, the sample questions are good examples of the straightforward and shorter questions.