I Passed the CISM

GoldmannGoldmann Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed the CISM on August 31st with 1 month of study. I used the Q&A database and ensured I was scoring in the 90% range before sitting for the exam.
I took over 25 full length tests within the month of August and I skimmed through the manual to read around my weak areas after each full test and read the AIO once. I took no tests 6 days prior to the exam. I tested on the ISACA Surgent Q&A software mostly and also on Udemy (4 tests) and full length test on cybrary.
Always try to figure out why each question was answered correctly or wrongly (do not cram answers to questions). 

I wrongly assumed that I would be seeing questions framed like the ISACA database Q&A questions. Very silly expectation, I found out on exam day.  The questions on the real exam are structured to test your knowledge. If you do not understand IS Management through the lenses of ISACA, you will not pass. 

I am studying for the CRISC which I plan to sit within the next month or two, (depending on time commitment and how far I am able to go within the next 3 weeks) I also will be applying for the new ISACA CDPSE based on my Data Privacy experience. 
These exams are doable but they require time, motivation, strong commitment and determination to succeed. Whenever I feel demotivated, I just think about my 5 sons and the wifey and (of course) the potential pay raise and there I go.

We can do this guys! Good luck to everyone.

Comments

• iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats.. what is next
  • GoldmannGoldmann Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Buddy! CRISC is next. I am studying hard and looking forward to positive outcomes. 
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    Thanks, E Double U! 
  • ArtemisaArtemisa Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I did not pass it. Waiting on the official results. I do not know what I am doing wrong and starting to memorize the DataBase questions.
  • iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Artemisa said:
    Congratulations. I did not pass it. Waiting on the official results. I do not know what I am doing wrong and starting to memorize the DataBase questions.
    every time you practice a domain and did not score well, try to review again sections that you did not perform well and do the test practice test again... that will help to strength your knowledge.. i wont recommend memorizing the practice database because no single question will come from it... the DB is just to gauge your overall understanding 
    edited October 2020
    Artemisa said:
    The Manual and even the AIO may be boring to read so one trick I used o enable me read them all, was to test myself with the database questions (software), then just as recommended by iseeyou (in the above post), refer to the relevant topic in the AIO and or Manual and read around the question you got wrong. 

Some days, I open the QAE software and go straight to questions I got wrong only and study the topics I scored wrong exclusively. Other days I go to questions I scored right and find out why I got them right.

Its painstaking, but it works. You have to find a way to really think like ISACA. Once you do, it will be easier to spot answers that are more ISACAish and the ones that look correct but are less ISACAish. 

I hope this helps.
  • ArtemisaArtemisa Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank You all for your feedback. Once I get the results I will see where my weakest areas are and start from there.