Options

Been offered place on foundation degree course Networking

rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
I am currently 25 with 5 years IT support experience along with A+, N+ and MCP XP. It has worried me that I don’t have a degree so it’s always been something on my mind. I came to a cross roads with my career lately and resigned form my current tech support job as I was in a major rut and wanted to take some time out to concentrate on getting CCNA and MCSA etc. I also applied for a 2year degree course at college and have been offered a place after I attending there interview. The Foundation degree also includes CCNA within it as well as some Microsoft modules too. I would like some people’s opinions on this. My plan would be to pass the course along with CCNA and MCSA and by that time I would be 27.5 I would then do the extra 1 year top up to a Bsc bringing me to 28.5-29ish. Is it worth pursuing a degree in this fashion? In other words if I take the next 3 years or so out of IT to obtain all the above and then go back in the workforce will I be to old or do you think il be much more marketable than I am now?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Too old at 29? No way. Plus you'll have the big three: Degree, Experience and Certifications. Is it a full-time course?
  • Options
    rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    yes its a full time course(20hrs per week) over 3 days. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That would still leave a day or two for some work on the side, but regardless, I don't think it's ever too late for a degree if you want it. Even if you won't apply many of the things you learn, the 'degree' on your resume can open doors to better positions especially when you're older (which isn't at 29 ;)).
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i totally agree with the webmaster on this one! i am in the similar situation as you. iam stuck in the helpdesk role and just want to get to new higher levels. i have just finished my first your of my honours (PT) in IT Networking. but i have also decided to get some certs to my name, starting with the a+ so in 5 yrs time hopefully i will be able to get up the ladder and i will have 9 yrs IT experiance, a few certs and an honours degree! its never to late to study or learn so just go for it man.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    HEY!!!!Cut the BS!

I'm 60 years old with 6 beautiful grandchildren. I earned my bachelor degree in Classical Language and Literature when I was 36. I then discovered that I would never be the scholar that I would like to be. But, the degree was not a mistake, the writing experience that I gained during the education, kept me with a good job in heavy highway construction for the next 19 years. I earned a pension, took it at 55, took a couple of A+ courses at a community college. Now I am a Computer tech making a good hourly wage and having fun at "work" every day.

What's wrong with you kids! You have not idea what old is. You got to point your nose where you want to go and refuse to NOT get there.
    I've always shifted my nose every few years.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    janmike wrote:
    HEY!!!!Cut the BS!

I'm 60 years old with 6 beautiful grandchildren. I earned my bachelor degree in Classical Language and Literature when I was 36. I then discovered that I would never be the scholar that I would like to be. But, the degree was not a mistake, the writing experience that I gained during the education, kept me with a good job in heavy highway construction for the next 19 years. I earned a pension, took it at 55, took a couple of A+ courses at a community college. Now I am a Computer tech making a good hourly wage and having fun at "work" every day.

What's wrong with you kids! You have not idea what old is. You got to point your nose where you want to go and refuse to NOT get there.
    I've always shifted my nose every few years.

Good luck!
    Thanks for speaking up janmike. That was a great wake up call to all of us. (Insert Applause/Clapping).
    You encouraged my 38 year old butt. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.