Certification Goal for 2021

2»

Comments

• TrikeryTrikery CISSP, CySA+, Sec+, SSCP NYCMember Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Picked up the Sec+ last year.  Then have pretty quickly knocked out the SSCP in Feb and CySA+ this month.  I have the CISSP scheduled for end of April.  I'm thinking I'll stop after that.  It's a lot of review, I have done a lot of the stuff in the tests over the course of my last job for 7 or so years, just now getting around to verifying it all with certs.  On the fence about going for the Net+ / A+ at this point, that would be what I would do after finishing the CISSP, but I don't know if it's necessary with Sec+ / CySA+ already. 
    Eventually want to grab the GCFA but only if someone wants to pay at a future job. 
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 967 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In your case A+ is totally not necessary..  Maybe Net+, if you are really into collecting certification.  Have you look at other hands-on security certification like OSCP or EJPT ?
    I don't really want to collect them, I'm trying to push for ones I think are practical and keep stepping up.  Only reason I thought about backtracking was I have read that missing Net+ or A+ might be viewed as a gap in knowledge.  I don't necessarily  feel I need either one, I think I have the knowledge for both from work / school.  But  I figured I could pose the question here, I have read enough here to know the advice is good.
    OSCP I have read a lot about and  have coworkers who took shots at it.  I don't know anyone who has passed though so it is daunting. I'll take a look at the  eJPT.  
    Thanks!
  • _netmon_netmon Azure | MCSE | MCSA | MDAA | MCTS | CompTIA A+ | N+ | S+ Mod Posts: 14 Mod
    I took advantage of the pandemic last year and spent most of my 'work from home' time studying for certs. I managed to achieve the MCSA: Windows Server 2016 just before the original June 30th deadline, and when Microsoft decided to extend it to January 2021 I got my MCSE too. I'm still fairly young in IT and this achievement was massive for me. I also managed to crack on with some Azure certs too including the 900 and 104.

This year I didn't plan on doing any more certs as I was focused on securing a new job and higher pay check from my efforts in 2020, however I have recently been blessed with a baby due later this year, so for job security I decided to stay in my current role for another year. I still have the opportunity to work from home when needed so this makes it easier for me.

Goals for 2021: Azure Architect Expert (303 and 304), and reading lot's of 'new parent' books!
    Goals for 2021: Enjoy life
  • thomas_thomas_ CompTIA N+/S+/L+ CCNA R&S CCNP R&S/Enterprise/Collab Member Posts: 986 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I passed SVPN and I’m CCNP security certified now.  I’m strongly considering taking the rest of the year off.
  • chrisonechrisone Senior Member Member Posts: 2,210 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @thomas_ Trust me its not a bad idea! Mental health comes first. 
    Certs: CISSP, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, AZ-900, VHL:Advanced+, Retired Cisco CCNP/SP/DP
    2021 Goals
    Courses: eLearnSecurity - PTXv2 (complete), SANS 699: Purple Team Tactics (completed), PentesterLabs Pro (ongoing)
    EnCase Courses: DF120 (in progress), DF210, DF310
    Certs: eCPTXv2, AZ-500, SC-200 (fail 1st attempt), EnCE, Splunk Core Power User (obtained)
  • _netmon_netmon Azure | MCSE | MCSA | MDAA | MCTS | CompTIA A+ | N+ | S+ Mod Posts: 14 Mod
    Cancelled my plans to do AZ-303/304 this year. For me it doesn't make sense to certify myself as an Azure Architect Solutions Expert when I've had no actual experience apart from a few labs during my studies. Going to have a year off from certs this year and just keep training. I have some ESI courses booked from work for Azure (303 and 304). Might also look doing some extra Powershell/ARM stuff and Linux. Better to get myself clued up more on what I already know and prepare for a new career opportunity later in the year.
    Goals for 2021: Enjoy life
    Finished out the goals I listed.  Picked up SSCP(Feb), CySA+(March), just provisionally passed the CISSP.  I think I'm pretty much done for the year, opening another security cert book might make me cry.
  • DZA_DZA_ Untitled. Member Posts: 440 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Taking it easy with the amount for exams that I'll be scheduling this year. The CCSP scheduled for next month and hopefully I can clear that off the table. Otherwise, the company has mandated that I take the Azure Fundamentals certification which will be not a problem.
  • StirlitzStirlitz Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed COSO ERM (it was nice and useful) and started my MBA program.
    I'm going to pass CGEIT at the end of May. Please stop me))
  • dmaketasdmaketas Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've decided this year to achieve the OneTrust Fellow of Privacy Technology, mainly for myself, so far I've cleared 5 of them in 2021, plus 2 I've cleared last year, so I'm missing 4.

Otherwise, I must do the Open FAIR certification since I have the coupon from last year and tomorrow I'm sitting for the BRMP, which is paid by my employer.
  • XiPXiP Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dmaketas said:
    I've decided this year to achieve the OneTrust Fellow of Privacy Technology, mainly for myself, so far I've cleared 5 of them in 2021, plus 2 I've cleared last year, so I'm missing 4.

Otherwise, I must do the Open FAIR certification since I have the coupon from last year and tomorrow I'm sitting for the BRMP, which is paid by my employer.
    I recently cleared all of them. Hello soon to be fellow FPT!
    M.Sc, CISSP-ISSAP/ISSEP/ISSMP, CCSP, CCSK, CSSLP, CFE, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, CDPSE, COBIT, PMP, CBP, FPT, CIPP/US, CIPT, ACE, CEH, CSM, CSPO, NSE1, NSE2, AZ900, MB901, AI900, DP900, MS900, PCEP, ITF+, A+, Cloud+, Security+, CSCP