Any chance for me on Upwork?

Connor2kwikConnor2kwik Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□

I have no job or no work experience. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted and it was expunged I still think I won't be able to get a programmer job. At this point do I have a chance going on a website like Upwork or any other freelance website for that matter?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You won't know until your try, so give it a try and let us know how it went.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your record was expunged, why have you already decided you just can't get a job in programming?
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think what @JDMurray meant there is that it can go both ways. Even for experienced folks, it is not that easy to land a job especially given the pandemic. You won't know until you try. Give yourself a chance first. 
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
    It sounds like you don't want to be hired, otherwise you would be applying to open positions right now. Do you really need an encouraging pep-talk from a bunch of online strangers before trying to help yourself? As encouragement, I will say that "expunged" means there is nothing on your legal record for a prospective employer to see and reject you. If the problem is that you don't like any type of rejection at all, join the club with the rest of us who have been in many job interview and failed to get the job for one reason or another. That's how the employment game works. Don't play the game if you don't want to be hit. ;)
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not convicted = no record.
    Apply to many jobs, interview to get rejected. Gain experience in rejection. Life experience and growing as a person is greater than any job. 
    You will eventually land a job and you will have a new fear of actually accepting it and committing to working in life. 
    You will grow from this too and you will be better in both life and work experience. 
    Someone will hire you, be prepared in being committed. Its really that easy as applying......yes really that easy. 

Good luck! 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    Right now it's you that will prevent yourself from getting a job and not your past interactions with law enforcement. Better to have tried to find employment and failed rather than to never have tried at all.

• balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Working for the NSA  or DHS  might be out  ( or maybe not )  but that doesn't mean you can not have a fulling career and a great life.  Make a plan and execute on the plan  you will be surprised where you end up if you take the first step. 
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looking at your post history, you have been making these same types of posts for a year now.  Let's be honest here, you aren't actually interested in hearing the advice of others. Instead you just wanting to hear validation for a decision you already made.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    balance said:
    Working for the NSA  or DHS  might be out  ( or maybe not )  but that doesn't mean you can not have a fulling career and a great life.  Make a plan and execute on the plan  you will be surprised where you end up if you take the first step. 
    I never said my goal was to work for the NSA or the government at all. Hell my goal isn't to even work for Google or any other FAANG out there. I'm 25 and still in college and I'm just now taking algebra and probably won't take calculus until this fall. That's besides the point, the point is I have heard too many things over the years regarding this. As I stated in my last post does anybody really truly think that any manager in the IT community is going to take me seriosuly now? Like they're gonna give a **** about me not being convicted. Granted I did had aspirations of landing a job at Microsoft, but not big tech company is gonna look at me anyways given the facts I just listed. That's why I asked about doing freelancing, but all I get is bullshit answers. 
    So if I am falsely accused of a crime and arrested, then wasn't convicted and let go, I am screwed? Doesn't seem like reality or anything I need to confess or explain due to some [insert mean word here] that falsely got me into a legal pickle. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    edited January 2021
    Then what are you worrying about exactly? What are looking for us to say to you?
    Makes a world of a difference. People get falsely accused all the time. They shouldn't have to suffer or have a bad time finding a job for it. 
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    balance said:
    I never said my goal was to work for the NSA or the government at all. Hell my goal isn't to even work for Google or any other FAANG out there. I'm 25 and still in college and I'm just now taking algebra and probably won't take calculus until this fall. That's besides the point, the point is I have heard too many things over the years regarding this. As I stated in my last post does anybody really truly think that any manager in the IT community is going to take me seriosuly now? Like they're gonna give a **** about me not being convicted. Granted I did had aspirations of landing a job at Microsoft, but not big tech company is gonna look at me anyways given the facts I just listed. That's why I asked about doing freelancing, but all I get is bullshit answers. 
    You haven't listed any facts though, all you've said was "I have heard too many things". Have you talked to a lawyer? Is there any reason why if you can fill out an application that says no felonies, no convictions, nothing on my record at all... then what do you think is going to happen? You're just upset over the answers because you've already decided your life is over and you need to be some discount freelance to survive in life. 

Years ago my wife had a friend with a similar enough situation, stupid mistake in college, lawyers we know said it could easily be cleared off his record. But, he was having none of that, just used it as a crutch to be unable to get a decent job. I haven't heard about them in years but for a decade plus it was all struggle all the time, getting crappy under the table cash jobs trying to get by while periodically having different family members taking turns allowing this guy and his wife to live with them. Don't be that guy. 

If you feel like everyone is telling you one thing and you assume everyone else is stupid and wrong... maybe they're not the wrong ones here. 
    edited January 2021
    Well that escalated quickly didn't it.  Connor2kwik said:
    balance said:
    Let me try a different approach.   "  You are amazing , you have nothing to worry about , everyone else is wrong  and you are right " .  Don't worry, one day you will find a company who can see your value.  Or you can work for yourself and utilize your stellar personality to win over clients.

Better? 
    You will make what you wish to make. Plenty of people in history who have been convicted, tried, and gone to prison and have made millions legally coming back to civilian life.

Skies the limit bud. Earn what you desire and nothing will stop you. You are placing way to many limitations on yourself.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    “The mind is a universe and can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.” - John Milton

If you think there is a chance then there is. If you don't think so, then well...
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

I have no job or no work experience. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted ...

You can get arrested for ax murdering your entire family, if you were not convicted, there should be no negative repercussions, innocent until proven guilty. If they ask you if you were arrested in a background investigation, certainly put it down, but most applications simply state have you ever been convicted or have a criminal record, which you certainly have not.

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    No one will answer this question for you. 

Apply and let us know how it goes. You will find out why you didn't get the job if you are denied. Good Luck!

I have no job or no work experience. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted ...

You can get arrested for ax murdering your entire family, if you were not convicted, there should be no negative repercussions, innocent until proven guilty. If they ask you if you were arrested in a background investigation, certainly put it down, but most applications simply state have you ever been convicted or have a criminal record, which you certainly have not.

So then I want to ask this also, so is there a possibility for me to work at a big tech company also? Like Apple for example? Just curious

So in your prior post you said " Hell my goal isn't to even work for Google or any other FAANG out there."

Am I misunderstanding your comment....?

edited January 2021
    This thread should be locked. Its been answered multiple times by multiple people. 

OP good luck!
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    balance said:

So then I want to ask this also, so is there a possibility for me to work at a big tech company also? Like Apple for example? Just curious

So in your prior post you said " Hell my goal isn't to even work for Google or any other FAANG out there."

Am I misunderstanding your comment....?

I was just curious to know, but as chrisone pointed out I'm pretty sure he was trying to tell me its not gonna happen cause of my record. 
    I did not get that from chrisone's comment at all so it is clear me this comes down to perception and yours is it will not happen for you. Since you are already convinced of that this thread is pointless. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    edited January 2021
    So, I'm gonna categorize this thread as a prime example of "soft trolling" and lock it forthwith.

This discussion has been closed.