Options

Cyber Security

Slim59Slim59 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently about to study for a degree in Cyber Security, however, I have a criminal record dated back to 2005 for fraud and dishonesty I would like to get a job as a Cyber Security Analyst does my record exclude me from working in the field? 

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Unless you can make it disappear (in Canada there is a process called Pardon) that could make your criminal record disappear. I would seriously consider going to another domain. Fraud and dishonesty could restrict you so much in this domain. 
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    edited March 2021
    Was it a conviction for a felony or just a misdemeanor? Or were you only arrested and charged but never convicted?
  • Options
    Slim59Slim59 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It was a conviction for a felony and I spent 2 years in prison
  • Options
    trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In Cyber only criminal records related to hacking activity seems to be acceptable.
    If you can wipe out the conviction - theoretically why not, however you may be asked this question number of times in cyber security career
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• Options
    SuperM62SuperM62 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2005 was awhile back. Look intro getting the record expunged or sealed.
  • Options
    bhiter010bhiter010 Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RedemptionRedemption Registered Users Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on the company.  The last company I joined only went back seven years.  You will likely be restricted from government contract jobs.  Sometimes they ask if you ever had a felony, and in that case, do not lie.  Answer truthfully and explain you were younger yada yada and learned from your mistakes.  Getting into a company by lying is not a good way to start a career. If it was me, I would consider starting by working in smaller companies and gaining experience.  Bigger employers could overlook some things for the right candidate. 
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You will be limited as to where you can expect to be hired. Finance, Legal and much of Healthcare will be a big no-go as there is too much at stake unless your hiring manager is really willing to go to bat for you. Sorry, it is what it is. Government can be hit or miss on the subject. You probably wouldn't pass a standard Secret level background check and never anything higher. Again, too much to loose.

Normal manufacturing and general business may not care much depending on the offense so its a toss up there.

My company for example wouldn't touch you no matter the need as our clients demand very thorough (global) background checks. Mine took over two weeks to clear Interpol alone.

Good luck.

B/Eads
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    What-if-ism and What-about-ism will never find you a job and just wastes everyone's time. You need to just apply and see what happens.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slim59 said:
    I am currently about to study for a degree in Cyber Security, however, I have a criminal record dated back to 2005 for fraud and dishonesty I would like to get a job as a Cyber Security Analyst does my record exclude me from working in the field? 
    Maybe, maybe not. "The field" is large and no one can definitively say how all potential employers will react.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS