Options

How to obtain CPE points for CISM

ecanmasterecanmaster Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have read the ISACA site and unlike the CISSP CPE points, you need to have a paid course. from their site to obtain CPE points.
For the CISSP, I listen to webinars or do a self study course.

But for CISM it seems more difficult to obtain CPE's and they offer paid courses.
I don't mind to pay for their course, but what is the 

CPE on Demand: All Access 

I would receive 37 CPE's , but can I do then all the courses they have online or is there a better course to pay for?
Is this worth it? 
Thx.

CISSP / CISM
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are plenty of free CPEs available from ISACA.  I generally use their online webinars, but I do them after they're archived since then I can do them at my convenience instead of when they are being broadcast.  

To get to them, while logged in to the ISACA web site, go to Training & Events / Online Training / scroll down to Webinars and click VIEW ALL WEBINARS, then scroll down and click BROWSE ARCHIVED WEBINARS.  

From there you should see about 5 pages of 1-hour CPE webinars you can use.  I usually go to the 5th page and work backwards because they're only available for one year after initial broadcast, so I do the older ones first before they drop off.  I usually go through about 3 or 4 of these a month, which makes it pretty easy.

One thing to be aware of is that after you complete the webinar it'll show up in your CPEs automatically, but YOU have to apply that CPE towards whichever certifications you want it applied against -- that is, after it shows up in your CPE list you'll need to assign it to your CISM.  

BTW, you can also download a certificate from the webinar from the ISACA CPE RECORDS tab of MYISACA.  I always do to that to keep for my records.  Then, if the webinar applies to the CISSP domains (they don't always) I'll go upload the certificate to (ISC)2 for CPE credit there too.

I also generally count my CISSP CPEs toward CISM as well.  In general, my CISSP CPEs almost always count towards CISM, but my CISM CPEs don't always count towards CISSP.

Hope that helps.
    Joe
  • Options
    csjohnngcsjohnng Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have read the ISACA site and unlike the CISSP CPE points, you need to have a paid course. from their site to obtain CPE points.

But for CISM it seems more difficult to obtain CPE's and they offer paid courses.

I would receive 37 CPE's , but can I do then all the courses they have online or is there a better course to pay for?
    Is this worth it? 
    Thx.

Ways to earn CPE in ISACA ( at least what I am doing)
    - ISACA Webinar or ARCHIVED Webinar
    - ISACA Jorunal or Journal archived (and take the quiz).
    Certifications (CISA, CISM , or CISSP, CCSP , C|CISO....etc) , every hour of exam count 2 CPE
    - Learning course (like course, I have CCSLP e-learning or other which can provide you the certificate of learning and  include the hours, I don't think ISACA requires you to have "paid" course, the point is not paid or not paid, but you have a clear agenda , course outline and certificate of completion with the time duration is the key).
    - Member survey.

the above should give you enough CPE.
    you will not get audit for ISACA submitted CPE but your own submission of CPE will be subjected to audit, so keep evidence of your own submission is important
    John
    MBA ,C|CISO, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, CISSP/ISSAP/ISSEP/ISSMP, CCSP, CSSLP, CASP+, Linux +, TOGAF 9; AWS Certified Security – Specialty, Amazon Web Services Solutions Architect Associate
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□

Is this worth it? 
    Thx.

Remember that ISC2 offer some training class, so you could do some training on ISC2 website and coun them for ISC2 and ISACA, depending on subject. 
  • Options
    1965_Ford1965_Ford Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    edited December 2022
    Is there a boot camp style class I can do that covers CISM CPE's? Say for example I do CISA bootcamp now will that cover the CPE's?

I am trying to get in my CPE's before year end. I also have Security+ and CASP. CISM renews those, but what other certs or say if I sit at a 40 hour boot camp or conference renews CISM? What I read from ISACA is vague.

I barely got CISM earlier this year so I am trying to figure out the system.