Contract vs Full Time Employee

sunnysysadmsunnysysadm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I live in Washington State and desire to get into IT Security, but it seems that most job postings are for temporary contract positions. There seem to be very little (if any) permanent, full-time, IT Security jobs. I have a full-time job as a Systems Administrator and want to make the leap to doing IT Security as I feel it is a natural progression in my skills. I have educated myself with the latest free downloadable security tools and have obtained the CISSP certification, yet for the full-time Security positions I have seen posted locally, they want 7+ years in IT Security already !! I know I am rambling here, but how can I get that much desired, coveted, IT Security job ? I don't know what else I can possibly do. Doing contract work is not an option, I enjoy the bonuses and insurance that go along with full-time, permanent work.

Sunny

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    heres the short

if your not working fulltime then take the contract

if your not happy with your fulltime and want to move up or make a change take the contract

i have contracted for several years and heres what i have learned.

1. you must keep an open eye for other opportunities
    2. you must keep watch of your current contract.. making sure nothing seems fishy..as if your contract is about to end before term
    3. always negoiate the contract .. as some say they can't supply a guaranteed term .. you can negoiate the pay for the complete term
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just apply for the jobs even if you dont meet the minimum requirement, im sure 7+ years isnt a strict requirement if you know your stuff.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$