Is your employer requiring Covid-19 Vaccine?

TechGromitTechGromit GSEC, GCIH, GREM, Ontario, NY Member Posts: 2,074 ■■■■■■■■□□
edited November 18 in IT Jobs / Degrees
My girlfriend's employer drawn a line in the sand, get your Covid-19 Vaccine by Monday, Nov. 22nd, or your FIRED!  The companies position was due to mandates from the Federal government that any company that is a Medicare-certified health care facilities, providers, and suppliers to ensure their employees are vaccinated. We are both vaccinated, but it boggles our mind that some people are so resistant to getting vaccinated that they are willing to lose there jobs over it.  A registered nurse or other professional, you can't just go down the street and get a job at another company that doesn't have this requirement, because every organization that engages in  healthcare will have the same requirement. Is the conviction so strong that they will willing to give up there career and go work at McDonald's?! 

My employer has issued orders that if your a senior manager and above or a new hire you must get the Vaccine or look for another job. No directive yet for lower level employees, but I can see they will be requiring it sooner or later, given Biden order for employers of 100 or more employees must get the Vaccine. Is your employer mandating you get the Covid-19 Vaccine?
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 1,975 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not at my employer or anyone else's that I know of here in NL. Though my wife and I are vaccinated so would not be a problem for us. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA and more.

2021 goals: AZ-303, AZ-304, maybe CRISC.

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
  • yparkypark Senior Member NoVAMember Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My employer is requiring vaccinations if you will be in the office. Going into the office is optional for my team but the other teams that need to be on site need to be vaccinated.
    2021 Goals: [JNCIA-DevOps] [JNCIA-Cloud]
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,369 Mod
    mandatory if you want to go in the office, I believe going to the office will be mandatory soon
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube Channel!

• JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec CISSP SSCP GSEC EnCE C|EH Cloud+ CySA+ CASP+ PenTest+ Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 12,477 Admin
    Reporting your current vaccination status is mandatory, but so far no word on actual vaccination requirements or consequences for the unvaccinated. Masks in-office are mandatory regardless of vaccination status.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 958 ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited November 24
    I work at a bank...
    they stated you MUST be vaccinated in order to Work from the Office.

Everyone is remote for now... so it's kinda moot.

But they are planning a hybrid/voluntary 'return to office' beginning in January.
    I'll be waiting for the fireworks as soon as they drop the 'voluntary'  ;)

TechGromit
    said:
    but it boggles our mind that some people are so resistant to getting vaccinated...

Whelp... have you tried engaging any of them to find out why?

I did;
    one of my colleagues stated it plainly:

He already contracted covid19 (unfortunately).
    But at least it didn't kill him (fortunately).
    And now, he has antibodies (quantitatively proven via his bloodwork).
    So WHY does he need a vaccine?
    --

Well obviously, i stated because the Vaccine gives 'extra' protection.
    He asked me if i could source him any peer-reviewed studies supporting this claim.
    Turns out.... i could Not. i could find plenty of talking-points saying as much... but not any actual science.

He then told me to read about israel's situation. Read about their population's 78% vaccination rate. Read about their population's waning antibody levels.

He then wondered aloud why no one has bothered to undertake a study tracking longterm antibody-levels of people like him (those with natural immunity).

Maybe the longterm antibody-levels of this population is comparable to those who already took the vaccine?
    (Wouldn't that actually be GOOD news?)

Or maybe their antibody-levels are even better?
    Or maybe they're worse off?
    Either way... isn't it worth finding out?

Best case,
    if the antibody-levels are comparable/better.... then maybe the prospect of herd immunity could still be attainable after all.

But we're Not have that conversation.
    It's just Shuddup and Take this Shot; whether you need it or not.

At the end of the day,
    I suppose Big Pharm sees it as an unneccasry risk if we explored these possibilities.

After all.... perpetual Covid Boosters are probably great for the bottom line.
    ;]

just say'in...

• Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ USA, CARegistered Users Posts: 178 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Our clinic programs have to wear masks regardless of vaccination (all staff) and our administrative buildings do not have to wear masks but it is encouraged. It will be interesting to find out what will happen if we move forward with mandatory vaccinations.
    Current:  A+ | Network+ | Project+ |Security+
    Working on: PMP
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec CISSP SSCP GSEC EnCE C|EH Cloud+ CySA+ CASP+ PenTest+ Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 12,477 Admin
    It will be interesting to find out what will happen if we move forward with mandatory vaccinations.
    I think it will be even more interesting when boosters and public vaccination records are mandated for the rest of our lives. It's a good thing Bill Gates-funded organizations have already been working on these technologies for years. :|

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 1,975 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So the message of this thread is to hold on to my stock in vaccine makers  B)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA and more.

2021 goals: AZ-303, AZ-304, maybe CRISC.

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
    If you bought Moderna 1+ years ago, and you haven't sold yet, you are doing very well.
  • TechGromitTechGromit GSEC, GCIH, GREM, Ontario, NY Member Posts: 2,074 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 30
    volfkhat said:

I did;

I don't know, maybe it because if you don't get it, your company will fire you and you will not be able to find another job at anywhere but the smallest of employers, which will likely be outside your current field. Are you really will to throw away 10 or 15 years experience in a field like Nursing or other professional job where you work years to get your degree, license and put your time in to get a good paying seniority level to go work as a landscaper without benefits over your principals?    While my own employer doesn't require us to get vaccinated yet, all new hires MUST be vaccinated. 
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ USA, CARegistered Users Posts: 178 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited December 1
    volfkhat said:

I did;

When i was a teen working my second job, i remember my manager telling me: "work is a privilege not a right"

Current:  A+ | Network+ | Project+ |Security+
    Working on: PMP
  • DZA_DZA_ Untitled. Member Posts: 451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Our employer is making it mandatory to declare whether you have taken the shot or not. Mandatory for having the vaccine isn't enforced at corporate office roles but at branch level I believe vaccines are mandatory. At the end of the day it is a public health issue. Our org is aligned with federal and provincial recommendations on COVID guidelines.
    DZA_ said:
    At the end of the day it is a public health issue. Our org is aligned with federal and provincial recommendations on COVID guidelines.
    How many other mandates has your employer enacted for other public health issues identified by Federal and Provincial health agencies?

edited December 4
    DZA_ said:
    Our employer is making it mandatory to declare whether you have taken the shot or not. Mandatory for having the vaccine isn't enforced at corporate office roles but at branch level I believe vaccines are mandatory. At the end of the day it is a public health issue. Our org is aligned with federal and provincial recommendations on COVID guidelines.

Or stated another way,

it's a Public Health Issue for the plebians who work at the Branch level.  But for the Corporate office roles.... it's apparently NOTPublic Health Issue.

Funny how that works...
    :]
    I don't know, maybe it because if you don't get it, your company will fire you and you will not be able to find another job at anywhere but the smallest of employers, which will likely be outside your current field. Are you really will to throw away 10 or 15 years experience in a field like Nursing or other professional job where you work years to get your degree, license and put your time in to get a good paying seniority level to go work as a landscaper without benefits over your principals?    While my own employer doesn't require us to get vaccinated yet, all new hires MUST be vaccinated. 
     :D:D 

So basically..... "Because i Said So".
    right?

I mean... that's all fine & dandy....  let's just Not call that a "science-based" argument.
    :]

But for what it's worth....
    i am guessing the ones who legitimately have 10-15 of experience/expertise.... in say, "Information Technology" (for example)...

they've probably made a risk assessment/calculation to Bet on Themselves.
    You know... counting on landing a future Remote position where they can continue to operate within their same domain.

Or maybe even... leverage their years of expertise/degrees/licenses/etc into an opportunity to start their own business/consultation?

I kinda feel... it's a halfway plausible outcome.

Also, you mispelled principles.
    <3