What are some of the Tech Hub cities?

Cyb0rgdillyCyb0rgdilly Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited December 2021 in IT Jobs / Degrees
This is an open discussion about cities and IT jobs for people willing to relocate for work opportunities.

North Carolina is up and coming with a plethora of computer jobs.

Virginia has plenty of IT job postings.

What cities in Florida have the most IT opportunities? Miami? Tampa? Orlando?

The Seattle area is a no brainer. They probably get higher wages in Seattle.

How about Texas cities? Any others?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    NYC is actually one of the places that people are fleeing from. It is a one of the most expensive places in the US to live, and the political leadership has driven the standard of living there into the ground with taxes and political mandates. New Jersey is very similar in many respects with its high taxes and political corruption.
    In Florida, most of the high-tech companies are in the Tampa area. Yes, there are some in the South end of the state (Dade/Broward/Palm Beach counties), but not enough to choose from if you change jobs every few years.
    Tennessee is a state to consider that's not on that list. High-tech in Nashville, Knoxville, and Memphis is growing stronger and the standard of living is high for people with high-tech incomes.
    In California (where I am), the standard of living has fallen quite a bit. The taxes (e.g., income, property, car/road/petroleum) are now the highest in the US, and many major West coat high-tech cities (i.e., Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle) are disasters of failed political policies. You'll need a high-tech income just to be able to stay here and enjoy the great weather. If you do come here, consider San Diego and Orange County as the best places to work and live.

In short, if you are looking to move somewhere, it's best to ask people who have lived in that place what they think of it--the good and the bad.

• Raya90Raya90 Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can only comment in NY, FL (Tampa area) and currently LA. I'm originally from the NW, Seattle area, but have ironically never works in IT up there. lol

NY is still prime with tech imo. A lot have left and moved down south to FL or one of the Carolina's but a lot of tech jobs are still in NY as well. I left during the start of the pandemic due to a contract being cut, but was working for a major media company within IT onsite at the time. I would've stayed had I was a FTE. Ironically, I have been getting reached out by my former managers there asking to hire me on fulltime for the past year, but I have since moved back to the west coast and now in LA. But like JD said, the high COL and political landscape have done a number on the city, which caused people to flee to cheaper areas in the south.

Tampa is a big tech hub of FL when I lived there. Next I would say is Orlando, which falls behind Tampa. St. Pete, which is just outside of Tampa in a neighboring town, and is big for cybersecurity as well as the University of Southern FL recruits and distributes lots of cybersecurity grads and they happen to find cybersecurity jobs both pre and post graduation. I believe "Cybersecurity Meg" on YouTube got her degree from University of Southern FL, and got her job before she even graduated and now works in incident response, and has wfh from Europe these past few years as well.

LA is pretty good, but northern Cali is prime. This is from what I seen, and for obvious reasons of Silicon Valley and all of the major tech companies there. Southern Cali is great too and doesn't get as much props. LA is more known for major media companies but there's lots of tech careers here as well, that accompany it. I am in transition now from leaving a major film studio for IT support to a private bank for cybersecurity. The only issue with California is the high COL and current polies, etc.
    Completed: CEH, MSCSIA
    Goals: CISSP, GICSP, GCIP