2501 Vs 4500M Modular Router, Which is better?

djjitdjjit Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can someone please give me a bit of guidance with this one. I am trying to purchase a router from an online auction. I have a choice between;
2501 which consists;

2 x Serial
1 x Ethernet (AUI)
8 Mb Flash
16 Mb DRAM
Power Supply
4500M Modular router consists;
1 x NP-2T (2-Port Serial)
1 x NP-2E (2-Port Ethernet)
3 x Modular slots (in total)
16Mb Flash
48Mb DRAM
AC Power Supply
With 3 Modular slots for growth and expansion

Which one should I go for? What should be a reasonable price for these, given that they are second hand?

Thank you

djjit

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I worked with both of these, at that time the 4000 series was one of the coolest things to play with...

Anyway, some considerations:

- Most practice questions, example configs, and sims are based on the the 2500 model.
    - The extra ethernet interface on the 4500, allows you to create a second LAN (and route info between them etc.) very easily. (ie. connect a host directly to both E interfaces. To be able to do most things with the 2500 router, you would need a second one. (back-to-back serial link)
    - The RAM on the 4500 might seem great, but is huge overkill for a home lab, even for most small sized corporate networks.
    - Modular slots: these modules are more expensive than a used 2500 router.
    What should be a reasonable price for these, given that they are second hand?
    Depends on a couple of other things:
    - What is the IOS version? Difference is price should be rather huge depending if it is 11.2 or higher or not. I've seen them being sold on Ebay for as low as $73, but with an IOS version 9.x. If the IOS is 11.2 or higher, you can expect to pay $150-$400.
    - How old are they? A router that has been used for years and years with average CPU usage of 90%+ might drop dead ;)
    - Do they include the original V.35 cables, console cable etc? These might be expensive if you have to buy them separately.
    Which one should I go for?

I tend to say: the 2501, but both would be nice :)

I hope this helps!
  • djjitdjjit Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Johan can&'t begin to thank you enough. I am hoping to pay a visit to the IT warehouse that advertises on this online auction, & purchase a couple of routers & Switches on the spot.

I have done a bit of research & Johan, I agree with you. The 4500M will not only overkill the home lab but might bring my house down. :) I also read in the Cisco website that the 4500M Routers will no longer be supported by Cisco as they have reached end-of-sale or end-of-life status. What would that mean, Cannot upgrade? This is the link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps5199/ps286/index.html

Cisco Routers supplied by the seller/auctioneer comes with all cables, but without a valid software license and the purchaser must separately purchase a software license from Cisco in order to use the product purchased. Therefore, if Cisco has stop supporting the 4500M Router series, I might be left stranded.

All I want is; a decent test lab that will help me with my CCNP, so would a couple of 25XX with a 1900 Switch do me? Please let me know.

Thank you

djjit
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You're welcome djjit :)
    Cisco Routers supplied by the seller/auctioneer comes with all cables, but without a valid software license and the purchaser must separately purchase a software license from Cisco in order to use the product purchased.
    The software license is often more expensive than a used 2500 router, always make sure it is included when you buy a used router. Preferably the version should be 11.2 or higher, but higher than 10 will usually do. The differences, at least those important to for Cisco exams, are often additional options/parameters for IOS commands. A main difference between the old and the latest CCNP exams, is that the new ones are based on 12.0 and higher. This should not be a problem as long as you use the latest study material.
    I also read in the Cisco website that the 4500M Routers will no longer be supported by Cisco as they have reached end-of-sale or end-of-life status. What would that mean, Cannot upgrade?

Means they don't produce it anymore and if something breaks it will be hard to get it replaced. If there are any problems with it don't call Cisco ;)
    All I want is; a decent test lab that will help me with my CCNP, so would a couple of 25XX with a 1900 Switch do me?
    I think 3 routers (can all be 25xx) and 2 switches is the minimum for the CCNP exams (except BCRAN, remote access....)
    2 switches to route information between VLANs, create trunks etc.(BMSCN) and 3 routers, to create some more realistic routing configurations (BSCI exam topics ie. OSPF or IS-IS areas)

On a side note: I'm going to add a lot of BSCI practice questions over the next couple of weeks, as well as the OSPF TechNotes and even some 3D animations to show what happens in OPSF areas and how adjecancies are established between neighbors.
    Click here for a preview screenshot...
  • djjitdjjit Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice! It’s all making sense now. I might just settle with your recommendation.

Looking forward to the TechNotes, questions & the 3D animations.

Thanks again..
    :D