Options

Hello everyone I am a total newb

mistaleedsmistaleeds Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in the process of researching what certifications to get as someone that's going a career change from a more business admin background.
I am in think the COMP TIA ones are a good place to start for foundational knowledge.
I am still discovering what role in cyber I would like to fill in order to get certs and experience specifically in that area.
Currently willing to take a pretty big paycut in order get any kind of support desk or IT support jobs.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Welcome to the forums! we were all once noobs when we joined this forum, I sure was!

You'll get plenty of help here. Cyber security is a growing field so get to working on certs and good luck

keep us posted with your journey!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome!

Are you currently employed? If so, what type of IT/cyber teams exist within your current employer?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    ponoziteponozite Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thank you all. I am currently trying to get a job in the field of some kind. Atleast an internship at this point. I'm just starting so I'm in the processing of getting my security plus. But I also went back to my local college to take some classes on computer information systems. 

My plan of learning is as follows. 

Python 
    Golang 
    Network plus and security plus. 
    Is there anything else I should be looking to learn at this point in time ? 

I have an ecommerce background. But zero networking and cyber background. 
  • Options
    I am currently employed but it is a smaller company so I am basically the IT person there. 
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    edited February 2022
    If you are working in IT, I would suggest learning PowerShell as your primary scripting language and Python as your primary programming language. Both of these languages are found in Linux/UNIX/Windows environments. If you are working primarily with Linux/UNIX systems then bash scripting is very important to you as well.
    You should learn basic networking before anything cyber. You can certainly start reading through the Security+ material, but Network+ will more important you sooner for your job and new career path. You should learn how to use Packet Tracer and GNS3 to simulate network environments that you can learn from by building and using them.