Signing exit paperwork

thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
What are your thoughts on sogning exit paperwork?  

The company I’m leaving wants me to sign some papers to remind me of my responsibilities in regards to the NDA, non-compete, and invention agreement I signed when they hired me.  The exit paperwork says I’m still bound by those documents even if I don’t sign the exit paperwork.

If I’m bound by the original documents without signing the exit paperwork, then what’s the point in having me sign the exit paperwork?  It seems like it only benefits them in that it would make it easier for them to win a case.

The only benefit I see to signing is it would probably make it easier to get re-hired in the future.  I’m not sure if companies refuse to re-hire people for not signing exit paperwork.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Just sign with an "X". I once did on a retroactive employment agreement that stated not only were all of my (future) inventions property of the company but also all of the (future) inventions created by my progeny were as well. Aren't corporate lawyers a hoot?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would read, make sure I understand what the doc is, and if it's true that it doesn't matter and it's a rehash of old stuff, then I would definitely NOT sign anything. I also don't believe in going back to a previous employer, so factor that in. 
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For some reason, I don’t think signing away the rights to any inventions created by your progeny would be enforceable, but you never know these days.

It’s definitely just a rehash of stuff I signed before, but there is some vague stuff in there about me still having to adhere to certain parts of their code of conduct.

I believe the intent is to protect their and their customers confidential information by doing something like throwing away sensitive/proprietary documents instead of disposing of them properly or arranging for their return.  However, it doesn’t call those items out specifically, so their entire Code of Conduct is potentially in scope.

For local employers I usually don’t intend on going back, but this is a national employer with all different types of positions.  I wouldn’t mind working for them in the future.  I never know what’s going to happen in the future and try to not burn bridges.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thomas_ said:
    For some reason, I don’t think signing away the rights to any inventions created by your progeny would be enforceable, but you never know these days.

It’s definitely just a rehash of stuff I signed before, but there is some vague stuff in there about me still having to adhere to certain parts of their code of conduct.

I believe the intent is to protect their and their customers confidential information by doing something like throwing away sensitive/proprietary documents instead of disposing of them properly or arranging for their return.  However, it doesn’t call those items out specifically, so their entire Code of Conduct is potentially in scope.

For local employers I usually don’t intend on going back, but this is a national employer with all different types of positions.  I wouldn’t mind working for them in the future.  I never know what’s going to happen in the future and try to not burn bridges.

You're overthinking this.
    Just call in SICK on your last day.

Tell them you think you have covid.

EASY PEASY <3
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited February 2022
    I would not sign it unless reviewed by your lawyer. Just telling that maybe enough for them to not insist. 

Also, don't forget that you are still bound by your local law.  Most non-compete paper here are not really applicable (Quebec) unless redacted by a very good lawyer. Non-compete have to be very specific to be enforceable. NDA are enforceable but it need to be reasonable.