CAPM or PMP for Experienced PM

acperwinacperwin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All, I have at least 6 yrs experience as PM. Do I need to take CAPM first then PMP or can I jump right away to PMP?

Appreciate your thoughts and advise.

TIA

Comments

• Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess you could jump right in to PMP. Good luck!
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited March 2022
    I would look if you have the certification requirements. 

I took this from PMI website. 

Before you apply, make sure you meet of the following sets of PMP Certification requirements:

• A four-year degree
    • 36 months leading projects
    • 35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM® Certification

— OR —

• A high school diploma or an associate’s degree (or global equivalent)
    • 60 months leading projects
    • 35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM® Certification
    CAPM need 23h of PM education or their online class (300-400$). So maybe this could be less expensive than doing a PMP qualifiying class. 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    As a related aside, the CompTIA Project+ cert is out there for people interested in PM but do not have much experience in managing people or projects.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray said:
    As a related aside, the CompTIA Project+ cert is out there for people interested in PM but do not have much experience in managing people or projects.
    Seriously, I woulndt know which one to choose between Project+ vs CAPM.  CAPM have almost no requirement and price difference is not a real big differenciator. 

Prerequisites

• Secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
    • 23 hours of project management education completed by the time you sit for the exam. Our Project Management Basics online course fulfills this educational prerequisite.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    I guess the question is he looking for a resume bullet or knowledge/information?

I DO not have the PMP certification but read a Sybex Project+ book back in 2010 for knowledge to make me more well rounded. But a lot of folks chase three letter or four letter acronyms for pay bumps. Can’t hate. Hopefully this thread leads to both for OP.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I guess the question is he looking for a resume bullet or knowledge/information?
    No, it was meant to suggest a path for people who are interested in studying PM and don't know where to begin.

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I understand. OP seemed interested in just getting the certificate and hasn’t chimed in since.

But you’re definitely a scholar and a gentleman. And that’s a wonderful recommendation.