Options

how do you follow up after the interview

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
I had an interview with Cox Communications on Friday and gave the Thank You letter on the same day. It is Wednesday now.

I want to email the guy who interview me again but I dont want to sound desperate. What should I say? He didnt ask for my References, should I give them to him?
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tough call, but I would think if you already sent a thank you letter, give him a little room. Maybe follow up next week, like Monday or Tuesday.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FYI, send the thank you letter a couple of days later usually about 2- 3.

since its already been done.. you'll have to wait , start looking around for another gig while your waiting you may end up with a call from them or someone else
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    alright i will till monday if i dont hear a response.

i really want this job, it has me getting my hands dirty with servers. I believe I might get paid well too! probably in the high $40s

In the mean time I planning to get CCNA certified in about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    yeah, i sent a thank you email the afternoon after the interview and i definitely think i jumped the gun on that one. in future interviews i plan on waiting atleast until the next day.

you guys would contact them after sending a thank you letter? i just assume the ball is in their court....
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're the only person I've ever heard suggest waiting 2-3 days.
    yeah, i sent a thank you email the afternoon after the interview and i definitely think i jumped the gun on that one. in future interviews i plan on waiting atleast until the next day.
    I don't believe you jumped the gun at all. As a matter of fact, you should send a thank you letter within 24 hours of the interview. Here's my sources:

http://www.collegegrad.com/interview/postinterviewthankyouletter.shtml - "be sure they have it before the end of the following day"

http://interview.monster.com/articles/notes/ - "preferably the same day as your interview"

http://www.yale.edu/forescdo/after_the_interview.htm - "within 24 hours of the interviews"

http://www.quintcareers.com/sample_thank-you_letters.html - "within 24 hours of an interview"
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is this thank-you letter an american thing? I've never sent one in my life and i never will.If a company wants to employ me they will, thank you or not.Just sounds like too much arse kissing to me.
    I'm just wondering do you send a second thank you if you dont get the job?
    If i was waiting too long after an interview and really wanted to know whats going on id pick up the phone.Anyway each to there own,anyone in europe sending thank-you letters?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    I think it's crap too, I would like to get my hands on whoever started this thank you letter crap.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    It's hard to say what is proper etiquette and what isn't it. I always leave with a good handshake and a "Thank you".
    I have never sent a Thank You note, card, letter, or flowers icon_lol.gif

But, to each his own (or her own)...
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Thank you letters would probably depend on who's market it is. If there are more jobs than techs, then the job should thank you for choosing them. If there are more techs than jobs, then you should thank them for considering you.

Same day seems a bit desperate to me, but next day seems perfect. It also can give you the opportunity to recap on the interview, and perhaps add things you may have missed at the interview. The point of the thank you letter though is to keep yourself at the forefront of their mind. If they interview 10 people a day, and you're the first, they may forget some key details about you and the interview that would otherwise get you hired.

My first job here in Florida was with Hernando County. The reason I stuck in their minds was because I knew and liked Arcnet at the time. They had been using Arcnet, but were moving to 10 base-2 ethernet and so I never saw let alone used arcnet there. Oh, and one of the commissioners was a neighbor so he did put in a good word for me, but that was only to get the interview and to be sure they took me seriously during the interview. I have a spinal disfigurement and I am sure sometimes that can give false first impressions.
  • Options
    during my Senior year in College and going to those job seminars, they always told me to do a Thank You letter. Reason being if you have competition that is evenly match, a Thank You letter will tell the employer of who really wants the job! If two equally skill applicants are fighting for a spot, and one sends a Thank You letter while the other doesnt, the one that sends is going to be likely picked because of the Thank You letter.
  • Options
    Screw thank you letters, I hate making a sweet resume and then being asked to **** it into text on some corporate website so it can be fed into some HR database... icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this thank-you letter an american thing?
    Yes.
  • Options
    say, i forgot to ask, what do i say in the follow up coming this monday? i dont know what the right words to ask when asking from them for an update.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Screw "thank you letters". Too much ass-kissing. You're not doing me a favor. You need me as much as I need you. If there's 2 equally skilled candidates for the same position, personality will be the deciding factor, not a thank you letter.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    say, i forgot to ask, what do i say in the follow up coming this monday? i dont know what the right words to ask when asking from them for an update.

Think its just that, ring up (dont email you'll get a slower response but if they are busy dont try every two mins!) be polite thank them for their time, let them know you are interested in the position and do they have any further news following the interview.

If you phone then you can at least pick up 'things' in their voice even if you dont tell you a great deal that may give you some idea. But keep looking to, always better to have too many oppertunities rather than none!

Well thats what i would do anyway! :)

Unless of course you have some compromising pictures of him, in which case its all done a bit differently...... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

PS: Never sent a Thank You letter either. Only first heard of it here!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Screw thank you letters,icon_twisted.gif
    I am guessing your grandma quit sending you birthday presents a long time ago... icon_lol.gif

Just pulling your leg! :)
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    What did you say in the thank you letter? Just tell them something like "wanted to emphasize again my appreciation for the opportunity to speak with you about the xxxyyyzzz position at your company. Your company and the people I met really made a good impression on me during my brief time there. I was just wondering if you had any idea of when a decision might be made?"

That would be the gist of it, putting it into your own words and whether it will be a phone call or email. Also be careful to not be a pest about it.
  • Options
    jaeusm wrote:
    You're the only person I've ever heard suggest waiting 2-3 days.
    I don't believe you jumped the gun at all. As a matter of fact, you should send a thank you letter within 24 hours of the interview. Here's my sources:

http://www.collegegrad.com/interview/postinterviewthankyouletter.shtml - "be sure they have it before the end of the following day"

http://interview.monster.com/articles/notes/ - "preferably the same day as your interview"

http://www.yale.edu/forescdo/after_the_interview.htm - "within 24 hours of the interviews"

http://www.quintcareers.com/sample_thank-you_letters.html - "within 24 hours of an interview"

in every case it has worked for me so icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    okay, i will try your suggestions. however the thank you letter works here in the USA. it worked beutifully for my first job.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Screw thank you letters,icon_twisted.gif
    I am guessing your grandma quit sending you birthday presents a long time ago... icon_lol.gif

Just pulling your leg! :)
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    What did you say in the thank you letter? Just tell them something like "wanted to emphasize again my appreciation for the opportunity to speak with you about the xxxyyyzzz position at your company. Your company and the people I met really made a good impression on me during my brief time there. I was just wondering if you had any idea of when a decision might be made?"

That would be the gist of it, putting it into your own words and whether it will be a phone call or email. Also be careful to not be a pest about it.

I did what you just said and now i play the waiting game again. Do I just wait until he responds?? Or wait another certain number of days to reply again? If so then how many days do I wait if no reply is given or should I take that as a no that Im not going to get hired.
  • Options
    You've made it clear that you are interested. Leave it be now. Keep looking for other opprtunities and don't just sit around wringing your hands hoping they'll call. Get busy with plan B. If they call and offer you the job, great. If not, you've already moved on and haven't lost any more time.

Are you currently employed? IT job? Unemployed?
  • Options
    Im already employed with SunTrust Bank. I support their vendor applications, but just that, i work with software and Im trying to get my hands dirty with software, hardware, administration and networking. That is why im desperately trying to get out and find a new job.

so far the job this job i met their criteria of what they wanted and have what i wanted.

im applying to other jobs, im getting the feeling that i wasnt accepted.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    Im already employed with SunTrust Bank. I support their vendor applications, but just that, i work with software and Im trying to get my hands dirty with software, hardware, administration and networking. That is why im desperately trying to get out and find a new job.

so far the job this job i met their criteria of what they wanted and have what i wanted.

im applying to other jobs, im getting the feeling that i wasnt accepted.

Don't wait for them. Keep on applying. I am also trying to find another job. I 'm not learning any new technology at my current job and the pay is average.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    I just accepted a position with a local school district. I went in for the interview (2.5 hours long) on a Monday and walked out feeling good. I followed up 10 days later with an email as a courtesy and by the end of that day, I was hired for the position. Everyone's mileage will vary, but in the IT world now, you have to do what you can to show your interest and prove to them that you can bring some good stuff to their table.
  • Options
    the recruiter called me back and said that they are still interviewing other folks and would get back to me with a phone call or email with acceptance or rejection.

I guess I figure I should not reply back now and just wait it out.
  • Options
    hhisgett wrote:
    I just accepted a position with a local school district. I went in for the interview (2.5 hours long) on a Monday and walked out feeling good. I followed up 10 days later with an email as a courtesy and by the end of that day, I was hired for the position. Everyone's mileage will vary, but in the IT world now, you have to do what you can to show your interest and prove to them that you can bring some good stuff to their table.

did the resume stuff help?
    the recruiter called me back and said that they are still interviewing other folks and would get back to me with a phone call or email with acceptance or rejection.

I guess I figure I should not reply back now and just wait it out.

keep on looking