Options

Certifications for vCIO job roles

NetworkSpoonNetworkSpoon Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all, about a year 1/2 ago I moved from a Project Engineer into a vCIO (Technical Advisor) role. Now that I'm established in this job and no longer drinking from the firehose, Im looking to move forward with some higher learning. My previous certs include, A+, Net+, Sec+, Microsoft MTA, Microsoft MCSA, CCENT,  and various Vender Specific Firewall certs. In the vCIO position, it has been made clear that keeping up with Cyber Security, Compliance and Technology trends are major components of the job. Im hoping to get recommendations from folks that have been in the same or similar position and what they would pursue in terms of further education.

Thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    ISACA certs are you friend if you want to tick boxes, look up CISA / CISM / CRISC

Cloud knowledge is very handy, so azure fundamentals or aws cloud foundation or Google cloud are in demand and will give you much needed knowledge for advisory work should you need it
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    I should Add that I work for a MSP, 12 Years in IT. We are a big Microsoft company, Office 365, Azure Cloud and also host our own cloud.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited June 2022
    @UnixGuy said.. ISACA CISA, CISM, CRISC.  I would consider ISC2 CISSP first. Then do the CISM exam just after, there is quite a lot of overlap between them. 

Have you consider a Master in Cybersecurity. 
  • Options
    Cybersecurity is def a primary focus of mine due to the current threat landscape. However I see a huge need for emerging technologies and Cloud as the industies continue to see value.