Any method for acquiring internal knowledge about a job?

SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
edited October 2022 in IT Jobs / Degrees
I’ve been eyeing a network analyst position at this law firm but the job duties and requirements seem to differ a bit from my current network analyst position at the healthcare organization I work for. One key difference is that it seems that their network analyst require more knowledge in cloud technology which I never had hands-on experience. We do more traditional networking. I know for starters I’d need to look into getting some cloud certs. I’d like to know how one would approach getting more internal information on a job so that you can get a clearer picture as to what the employer is looking for from their candidates. Job postings will give you some idea but my experience has been that the actual job is vastly different than what is being asked in the posting.

Hopefully I am made sense lol
Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    First, find out what Cloud Service Provider(s) the employer uses. No sense is getting AWS or Azure certs if they use Google, Oracle, or Digital Ocean.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spiegel said:
    I’d like to know how one would approach getting more internal information on a job so that you can get a clearer picture as to what the employer is looking for from their candidates....

It's called the "interview" process.
    While they are asking questions about YOU....

You should be asking questions about THEM.
    :)
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Spiegel said:
    I’d like to know how one would approach getting more internal information on a job so that you can get a clearer picture as to what the employer is looking for from their candidates. 
    My approach is to reach out to managers for informal discussions whenever possible. I lump it under general networking. I like learning about teams and giving them an opportunity to learn about me. If you cannot achieve this the informal way then use the formal method of submitting an application to a vacancy. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS