Options

Cloud+ beta, CV1-004

FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
If anyone wants to play, yesterday CompTIA opened up a new beta for their Cloud+ certification.

CV1-004 can be found in your PearsonVue CompTIA portal, for $50.

The detailed, draft exam objectives are here -> https://comptiacdn.azureedge.net/webcontent/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/under-development/draft-comptia-cloud-cv0-004-exam-objectives-(1-1).pdf

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thank you. My old Cloud+ cert expired so I’ll try the beta to see if I can reobtain the cert.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I'm signed up for Mon, Feb 26th. Gotta get myself in the Cloud+ mindset once again. :smile:
  • Options
    xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just signed up for the 26th, also. This is how I got my CySA+ - looking forward to learning and passing!

Many thanks to FluffyBunny for the heads-up.
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    Took the beta today. It was 165 minutes, 118-questions. I did zero preparation. I currently have the AZ104 certification, fundamentals and AWS CCP.

It started off with 3-4 simulations. Very basic not CLI. More like multiple choice multi question options for scenarios. The remainder of the questions were multiple choice. Very vendor neutral. There were a lot of generic cloud terms. There were a few I didn’t know (possible v4 updates).

I definitely was burnt out at the end. I definitely felt unsure on some of the questions like scripting, terraform, some weird deployment strategy, some container terms, etc.

• Options
    Remember that betas include a bunch of experimental topics to see which ones are too easy or too difficult and therefore may not make it into the exam released into production. I'm guessing that I passed the previous Cloud+ beta (without studying) because one or more of the sims were not counted towards the score. They were interesting but confusing.
  • Options
    If anyone else is taking the exam. Without looking at the exam outline, here’s general things I saw.

Brush up on the different services (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS…)

Containers

CI/CD

Deployment Strategies (Rolling, Blue-Green, Canary, In Place, etc)

Terraform

Scripting

Familiar with ports and protocols and how to do basic firewalls

Basic subnetting

Lift and Shift, Refactor, Rehost, etc.

Cloud Deployment Models

Reading Logs

scaling methods (horizontal or vertical)

right sizing a VM

Identifying performance issues

General cybersecurity stuff like encryption (VPN, TLS, at rest), etc

Cant think about anything else.

The simulations aren’t “difficult” but definitely a little confusing. There’s no clicking or command line stuff. I do t think that breaks NDA.
  • Options
    edited February 27
    I took the CV0-004 beta yesterday. I would say that the exam objectives aligned very well with what I saw on the exam. It's a long exam and seemed to have many redundant topics in its exam items as you would expect on a beta exam. I did a quick study by feeding the exam objectives into ChatGPT 4 preceded by the prompt "Within the context of the CompTIA Cloud+ certification,  explain in detail: ..." This gave me a nice study sheet to check what topics I needed to brush up on more. The above list from @spiderjericho is a great example of objective topics that you should know. I did like the sims, but one of them involving Layer 1 configurations was very confusing to me. (I'm much more experienced with layers 3-7.)

Overall I would say that the CV0-004 beta is a very good and practical test of somewhat-vendor-neutral Cloud knowledge and application of troubleshooting skills.
  • Options
    I also took the v4 beta yesterday. It was much more difficult than the AZ-900 that I took and passed back on 2-10-24. Had 4 PBQs, 118 questions total. Took me 1 hour 50 minutes, including the post-exam survey.

The PearsonVue facility was an excellent setting for the exam. I do recommend arriving early - and don't forget your two forms of ID!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    It’s been a few years since I took AZ900. I did take AWS Cloud Practitioner in Dec. I’d definitely say they’re comparable if the Cloud+ v4 is 60 questions. Once is very vendor/platform specific. The other is vendor neutral. Cloud+ is definitely less difficult than the admin exams from Microsoft and AWS.

I also don’t like the CEU requirements. I took the last beta and got the cert. My cert lapsed last summer because they wall Linux+/Cloud+ behind different CEU requirement than CASP/SEC +/NET+. So keep that in mind if you PASS and want to maintain it.
  • Options
    For me, AWS CP was more difficult that AZ-900, probably because the CP it was my introduction to cloud technology. The Cloud+ v4 beta was much more technical than the other two, in my case. YMMV.

The final v4 exam may not be as challenging, and will probably have 90 or fewer questions, if it's comparable to the v3. https://www.comptia.org/certifications/cloud#examdetails
  • Options
    sneesnee Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the Cloud+ beta end of February with pretty much no prep. Be interesting to see where I scored and more importantly where I didn't - I assume there will be some kind of indication?

Didn't leave me as drained as the CySA+ TBH.
    <script src="https://tryhackme.com/badge/1440141"></script>