Options

obtainable Goals and acceptable losses, timeline goals

AxtonAxton Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited June 15 in General Certification
Without getting into a long Back Ground History, I can ramble on and on. 

Obtainable Goals

Currently, I am studying for my CompTIA Security + and CySA +.  Now, most of us know that Sec+ is "somewhat" of a requirement in the IT field, as it is expected to have.  The CySA+, not so much, more of Specialty Certification. 

As of Today, I have 6 weeks to study for the Sec+, since I am taking the SY0-601, that exam expires on July 31st. I have about 17 weeks to study for CySA+, CS0-003.  Now the Sec+, is a renewal and retake, failed back in Sept 2023, with a 641, if you can believe that.   I am taking the CySA+, only because I was provided with a Voucher, that expires in October. 

My plan is to study, exclusively spending 4 out of 7 days on Sec+ until July 31st, and spend 3 out of 7 days on CySA+ until July 31st, then focus on CySA+ entirely until October. 

Additional goals are to study for Microsoft Endpoint Admin Exam, and some other things,  along side.   Maybe a few hours a day or a day, (on the weekend) 

Acceptable Losses.   

I recently complete an IT school in Dec. 2023.  I have been applying for work, here and there, and only obtained just about 4 to 5 interviews.  I recently received a job offer, (which I accepted), from my previous employer, in Records Management. I worked Help Desk from 2010 to 2021 at that employer, but resigned due the Vaccine Mandate.  

6 month, 12 month and 18 month Goals

My plan at this point it to obtain both the Security Certs and MS endpoint Admin within 6 months and hopefully find a SysAdmin or Desktop Admin Position that will get me back into Information Technology and a higher Paying Job. 

12 month to 18 month plan

Additionally, I am looking into cloud infrastructure, as I recently passed the Cloud Essentials+, but failed the Cloud+, (I will take it again).  So am looking into Azure and AWS. 

I am now realizing that side study for cloud infrastructure, may include the study of Linux, more networking, more security, and some programming languages.  

So the end goal it work as an admin in either basic systems (MS server/client environment) or cloud infrastructure.   

Opinion on time line and expectations??  

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,060 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited June 17
    Congrats on getting your 2nd Associates degree.

but... Cutting it pretty close with the Sec+  lol

I recall that you were going to take the exam over the winter....  but i assume Life said otherwise ;)

Obviously, i agree with the MD-102....  that's where you already have expertise.

Are you back on the Help Desk? or you doing something new?

and Where do you live?
    Is it in an area with High Population Density?
    Where potential Work/Roles are in your vicinity?
    This definitely plays a factor in finding Opportunities.
    Hopefully you are good... but You may want to consider MOVING if you are not in an ideal location.
    (Side note: given your age... 'relocating' may Not be worth the Squeeze)

i really don't have any other helpful advice.

Experience is the BEST teacher.
    So if you want to work in "cloud" (whatever that means)... then you need to land a job allowing you to play with Cloud.
    (of course, Easier SAID than DONE)

EDIT:
    Lastly, good on you for refusing the mrna jab.
    Based on the many studies that were previously buried.... i think you definitely made the Right decision.
    <3<3
  • Options
    AxtonAxton Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited June 18
    volfkhat said:
    Congrats on getting your 2nd Associates degree.

THANKS. 

but... Cutting it pretty close with the Sec+  lol

I figure, that with my close score of 741, I have a good chance at passing the second.  Just need to make a great effort to study.  

I recall that you were going to take the exam over the winter....  but i assume Life said otherwise ;)

Yeah, I was studying for the CySA+  002, but he professor was nice enough to let me skip that exam as part of the grade and gave a voucher for the 003 version.  Additionally, I was reviewing after Dec 2023 for Cloud Essentials+ and Cloud + Exam that I needed to take before June 8th, passed Cloud Essentials+, but failed Cloud +.   

Obviously, i agree with the MD-102....  that's where you already have expertise.

I am debating about which of the additional exams I will be taking. Since the 

Microsoft 365 Certified: Administrator Expert

requires that you take the MS-102 and  MD-102,  MS-700 or SC-300/400 

I think this will open a few doors Later, along with the Security Certs.    The Cloud Essential+ Cert, might just add some slight "edge icing", if you know what I mean.  

Are you back on the Help Desk? or you doing something new?

At the moment I am just waiting for the agency to get the background check done and then I have to take a physical in July, since the job of "Record Management"  requires form lifting boxes and boxes of file and files.  

I did have a final interview with the City Water Utilities for a Lead Help Desktop Position.  Wait and see on that.  I say final interview, as I wait for the agency position, I will be focusing on studying and no longer looking for IT work, just maybe Federal.  

and Where do you live?  
    Is it in an area with High Population Density?
    Where potential Work/Roles are in your vicinity?
    This definitely plays a factor in finding Opportunities.
    Hopefully you are good... but You may want to consider MOVING if you are not in an ideal location.
    (Side note: given your age... 'relocating' may Not be worth the Squeeze)

I am in West Texas,  but the possibly of moving is not in the CARDS.  My wife has a great job with the local military base and has been there for over 15 years.  We were both lucky when was in the Federal System.  There are a varies amount of work in IT in my area, honestly, I think that there might be a saturation in the IT personnel that are looking for work at the moment.  Or employers was just taking too long.   I had on interview in May with a IT Support company, that I had applied for back February.  

i really don't have any other helpful advice.

Experience is the BEST teacher.
    So if you want to work in "cloud" (whatever that means)... then you need to land a job allowing you to play with Cloud.
    (of course, Easier SAID than DONE)

I understand what you mean by "cloud", I guess I am saying that I would be interested in working with cloud infrastructure.   I have seen some Federal Agency asking or IT position working in the Cloud.   I understand, demonstrational experience is a good step.  as we have all been taught with MATH,   "show your work"   I have heard the same aspect of looking for work in Security.  

EDIT:
    Lastly, good on you for refusing the mrna jab.
    Based on the many studies that were previously buried.... i think you definitely made the Right decision.   

I agree, I have often stated, "resigning, was the biggest mistake, I do NOT regret" 

<3<3