Options

Flow based MLS

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been reading up on multilayered switching i.e. flow-based and cef
Now in flow based switching i've seen its possible to use an external router for the layer 3 lookup.I've tryed to do this with my 2950 and its not supported.Probably its only supported on a layer 3 switch,but im wondering why you would have this setup if the multilayered switch can already route.Is this type config used if you have something like a 3550 with an SMI image?
Its just strange as i thaught it should work on a 2950 since you're offloading the layer 3 function to the router.
Anyway if someone has any idea's please share.
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I thought you went "external" when you couldn't use CEF.... The 6500 can use CEF for IP and IPX... but the 3550 can only do IP in hardware. If you have IPX, then on the 3550 the packet gets processed by the switch CPU, and routed if its MLS enabled, or passed along (bridged?) to an external router if it isn't.

I had problems with this -- but I managed to adhere to the golden rule of certification: Thou shall not try things out on customer equipment to see what the heck the certification books are talking about.

You just have to slog through this stuff... reading this stuff without being able to see it was like.... studying in quick sand.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!