Options

CWNA OSGv3 Review Qs : Question not covered in text?

TheWarrior520TheWarrior520 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I have to admit that this forum is a great resource for anyone seeking a CWNA cert and I would like to thank you guys for the incredible amount of work you do, I hope to one day soon make such a contribution.

That said, I have recently been going back through the review questions which I had just answered to myself on the way through the first read to make sure I understand them, and I have been writing detailed responses in a notebook. (I figure that writing will make sure the stuff really sticks, and I plan to post my answers on a web site that I have been working on since I started studying that will document my journey. Typing them the second time will insure that I remember :P )

Anyway, I have discovered that number 4 from the chapter 1 Review Questions is either only referred to "between the lines" or not mentioned in the text at all. Now, I know that it is most likely my error, so I come to you guys for assistance. I would just like to say that I have read chapter 1 about 3 times looking specifically for any reference to "portability" in the text. Now to me, portability can mean a number of things including what I would use as a synonym for 'mobility', being able to carry around a wireless enabled product. It could also be interpreted to mean the ability to 'port' existing equipment to a new standard... who knows, I am honestly just going out on a limb on that one, but I would just like to stur up conversation because as I said, it is most likely my error, so I believe that it is not of any concern to the authors of the book at this point.

For those of you without the book, or that are just plain lazy, Q. number 4 reads:

Explain the difference between 'mobility' and 'portability'as these terms apply to the use of WLAN technologies. Describe an application of each.

To sum this up, I read chapter one multiple times looking for the word portability and also and references "between the lines" if you have any input on this weather you have read the book or not i would appreciate intelligent input.

Thanks for your time,
-Lou

EDIT: spelling errors because the spell check does not work for me, maybe because of firefox in linux?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Well, I can't find an explicit definition of "portability" in the CWNAv3 Study Guide either. It seems that the comparison and contrast to "mobility" would be somewhere on pages 7 or 14, but there's not even an entry for portability in the index. I checked on the CWNP site and I don't see and errata for the book. They also didn't carry the glossary over from v2 of the study guide.

In my opinion, the term "portability" refers to the ability of something to be physically moved. The term "mobility" expands portability to "something that can be physically moved and remain connected." A telephone is portable in that it can be moved from one location to another, but it can't remain connected while in transit. A cell phone is mobile because it can both be transported and remain connected. Mobility helps to make things portable. Just my guess.

As to spelling checkers for FireFox, I use Spellbound Development. You can install it from:

http://exchangecode.com/spellbound/downloads/spellbound-dev_20060108.xpi

And the dictionaries of your choice from:

http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html

You will need to restart FireFox and bring up the Spellbound window to select the dictionary to use. I have heard that Google Toolbar also has a spelling checker, but I've never tried it, and I don't know if it's available for Linux.
  • Options
    JD, thanks for the spellbound link. I had actually heard about spellbound, but when I went to the official site there was no version that worked with firefox 1.5, and the mozilla site was being really weird, the search was not working.

I will most likely bring this over to the official forum and see what Devin has to say about it, he is really cool and helps people out a lot over there.

Just wondering, with proper credit of course can I copy in your reply over there in my initial post, I was going to tell them that I posted here first anyway and I don't want to put it on you and ask you to get an account over there, although you most likely have one

Thanks again,
    -Lou
  • Options
    frustratingly, spellbound is not working it says that the english dict is installed by default, but I installed it anyway and now it wont find misspelled words. I poked around and couldnt find anything in the help about adding a dictionary manually, so I have no clue

anyway, I will hold off posting on the official forum until tomorrow because I am tired and I wanted to have spell check icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I poked around and couldnt find anything in the help about adding a dictionary manually, so I have no clue
    1. In FireFox, open the Tools>Extensions menu item
    2. Double-click on Spellbound
    3. Click Test Area button
    4. Select the Test Area>Check Spelling... menu item
    5. Select English from the drop down list in the bottom left corner

Spellbound has two modes: "check spelling" and "check as you type." However, only in "check spelling" mode can you actually set the dictionary to use. By default, Spellbound starts in "check as you type" mode, so you really have to do some serious poking around to find the dictionary setting. I'm not sure why the dictionary isn't set to English by default.
  • Options
    Just wondering, with proper credit of course can I copy in your reply over there in my initial post, I was going to tell them that I posted here first anyway and I don't want to put it on you and ask you to get an account over there, although you most likely have one
    Go ahead and repost over there at www.cwnp.com. I already asked there where the errata is for CWNAv3 and was pointed to http://cwnp.com/cart/products/errata.html. Unfortunately, no mention of the review question that you pointed out.
  • Options
  • Options
    jd, cool info on that firefox 2.0 beta, I think I will check that out.

As for what you said about spellbound... I tried that, that drop down list on the bottom left has no English option for me it just says Language: Download More no other options, and when I spell check in that area I can get no results, it just says everything is spelled right.

Thanks for the link to the errata, unfortunately I knomw there is no mention in there because I have printed it out and use it as my studying bookmark icon_smile.gif

Now that I'm home from this stupid summer 3hr a day class I will be posting on the official forum soon.
  • Options
    jd, cool info on that firefox 2.0 beta, I think I will check that out.
    I just installed FF 2.0 beta RC1 and I don't see a spell check feature. I'm either missing it or its not in this release candidate.
    As for what you said about spellbound... I tried that, that drop down list on the bottom left has no English option for me it just says Language: Download More no other options, and when I spell check in that area I can get no results, it just says everything is spelled right.
    Did you install a dictionary from the second link I posted? I don't think Spellbound is distributed with an English dictionary anymore.
  • Options
    JD, yes, I installed the US english dictionary a couple times, and spellbound itself multiple times, I even tried to install a spanish dict... no dice.

However, I am using firefox 2 now and I love it so far

The spell check is indeed integrated, just type something wrong, Ispell (i think thats what its using) will immediately underline the word in red. As for any other features, like a full fledged spellchecker they don't seem to be here yet.

I will miss my extensions, but I can do without them for a while.

I wish they just distributed the source in .tar.gz format, the got already has the binary file and no makefile making it really weird installing it on linux, any idea on some tutorials that describe how a linux system with package management, like say suse should copy these files manually so as to provide access. For now I just extracted the folder to my normal user's home folder and changed the firefox icon on the desktop to /home/lou/firefox/firefox -u

Anyway... real happy with the spell check so far icon_smile.gif... which is 2 words by the way icon_razz.gif (learn something new everyday)
  • Options
    I will miss my extensions, but I can do without them for a while.
    I assume they left the Extension Manager out of RC1 because 99% of the bug reports would have involved incompatible extensions, which they can't do anything about. Extension support will probably appear in RC2, but I don't know how many FF 1.5 extensions will automatically work in 2.0. At least I won't have to mess around with installing Spellbound. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    lol yeah, you wont have to worry about spellbound, unfortunately there are no themes and I don't know enough about porting one of the nicer ones over. Many of the top rated firefox themes look absolutely amazing and it is hard to look at the default one.

P.S. Since there is no way to add words to the dictionary that it is using (that I know of at least) they should at least add words like firefox, I mean how is it going to tell me I am spelling that wrong (I tried it with a capital F too)

-Lou
  • Options
    ok well kevin sandlin replied, apparantly it was an old forum post, and he linked me to it, heres my post: http://cwnp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7937#7937