Options

Unable to browse to server by UNC Name.

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I can get to every other workstation by \\computername However I cannot get to the server by this method. I have tried \\ipaddress as well. Still no go. I can view all the workstations via UNC name from the server and the server itself of course.

Here is what I got from a local workstation when using nbtstat -r

NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics

Resolved By Broadcast = 1273
Resolved By Name Server = 0

Registered By Broadcast = 136
Registered By Name Server = 0

NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
DENALI <00>
SKURLA <1C>
SKURLA <1C>
DENALI <00>
SKURLA <1C>
FRONTDESK
SKURLA <1B>
SKURLA <1C>

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try:

nbtstat -RR
    ipconfig /registerdns

on the server having the problem. Also, check the WINS server and make sure the server has an Active Registration.
  • Options
    I dont have a clue what happened, but the Active Directory hosed itself somehow. I just simply restored from last nights daily backup and all is working fine now.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    A common problem people make is that they don't have the server (usually a DC) that is hosting the DNS for AD don't have the DNS client point to itself. If the DNS server is also a DC, then this can be disasterous as some DC services for AD can't find the other DC services for AD, which they find by looking up the SRV records in DNS.

Install the support tools (if not already done) and run netdiag /fix to be sure DNS configuration as well as other network issues are OK.
  • Options
    I ran netdiag /fix before I thought the problem was an issue. I wouldn't have posted if I didnt try to troubleshoot the problem first... :D

Anyhow, its all backup and running fine.