Options

Thoughts on Credits

HHHTheGameHHHTheGame Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I see that you can get credits (and can also be audited) for furthering your security education. For those of you with your CISSP... have you done this for credits?

I am currently studying for the Cisco PIX exam. It asks for total hours of self-study and CBT. Well the CBT for 642-522 is 13 hours and to read the book it's probably about 15 hours. 28 hours total. I could get 56 when I pass this and the Cisco IPS exam. I'd only need 66 more for the next three years. Does this sound right?

Comments

• Options
    lopezcolopezco Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HHHTheGame wrote:
    So I see that you can get credits (and can also be audited) for furthering your security education. For those of you with your CISSP... have you done this for credits?

I am currently studying for the Cisco PIX exam. It asks for total hours of self-study and CBT. Well the CBT for 642-522 is 13 hours and to read the book it's probably about 15 hours. 28 hours total. I could get 56 when I pass this and the Cisco IPS exam. I'd only need 66 more for the next three years. Does this sound right?

If you don't get those credits, you could lose your CISSP Certification?
    DAL
    "If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees." — Kahlil Gibran
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just submit your hours and they will be reviewed and either approved, dis-approved, or someone will send you an email asking for a little more info.

And to lopezco, yes you will lose your certification if you don't keep current with your CPE Units.
  • Options
    HHHTheGameHHHTheGame Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    how can you have your CISSP and not know that you have to maintain it?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how can you have your CISSP and not know that you have to maintain it?

I agree with you, but I think the OP knows that he needs to maintain it, he was just asking if certain things would apply to it.

At any rate, these type of threads are very informational to perspective and current CISSP's.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They key thing to remember is that different activities render a different number of CPE credits. Sometimes you'll submit something that you think will bring 10 and you might end up getting only 5, and vice versa. The most important thing is to get them submitted. I rarely submit anything pertaining to reading books or preparing for certs. Most of mine is usually from speaking at seminars, proctoring CISSP exams, writing whitepapers, and doing the SME bit at some of the ISC2 sponsored security summits. But by all means, you do have the right to submit whatever you feel qualifies. The good thing about seminars, summits, and CISSP exam proctoring is the fact they submit them for you icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I agree.... I do not submit for books read. I may in the future..but, I haven't needed to, so far.

No matter what points you submit, don't wait until the last minute to try and get your points. You might find yourself taking the test a second time.. icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    I'd rather get thrown in a dryer with a bunch of razors than take that boring a$$ exam over!