Options

advice needed, employer asking pay rate!

webistanwebistan Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I' m going through an interview process and the employer has asked me how much I want to get paid. The job involves network troubleshooting and I know I'm over-qualified, but at least it will get me into the company. And I really need a job.

That being said, if I tell them a high rate that is according to my experience and training, they may not consider me. On the other hand I don't want to get paid too low and of course I don't know how much they're paying in the first place icon_sad.gif

So, I'm in a kind of loss, should I give them a range or an exact figure? Or should I tell them we can negotiate later?
"Don't be consumed by despair."

Comments

• Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go to http://www.salary.com and see what the going rate in your area is for the job you're being offered.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    What is the job title? That would determine how much you are going to get paid. I know most helpdesk jobs here make anywhere from $15hr-$24hr. It really depends on your qualifications and certifications.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    when ever questioned i like to use a range with the lower end being still at least 10k more than what i got.. i would suggest that you check job sites for rates that they are showing for similiar position
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    Check out the Microsoft Certified Professional annual salary surveys. They have been putting these out for years. While some salaries may not map exactly to your situation, it may give you a good benchmark.

http://www.mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/

ss_2005_chart_15.gif
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+