Options

Lab Setup

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Right, I've setup a lab this weekend which consists of a one PC running XP and 2003 Eval (Vmware).

I got everything up and running and then realized that I can't join the XP machine to the domain, because obviously I need both client machine and virtual server running simultaneously and I cannot log onto the domain without first logging into the local machine and starting the server. When I logout of the XP local machine, the server shuts down, so then the domain isn't available again.

Anyway, think it would be a good idea to build a cheap server?

Or is there anyway I could work around this issue?

This is my ideal setup:-

Internet
-
Router / Gateway
-
2003 Server
-
XP Machine
-
XP Machine

Comments

• Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    which consists of a one PC running XP and 2003 Eval (Vmware).

Why not build a Virtual XP client and join that to the domain?

I'm using MS Virtual Server and have a virtual XP client installed, works fine for me...
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    Thought of that but my XP client has alot of other applications on like games, videos etc.
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I meant build an XP Virtual Machine within VMware.....
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    Good call! - Thanks :D
  • Options
    jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    You can also configure your VMware domain controller to boot up when your VMware host (your PC) boots up. After waiting a few minutes after PC bootup, you can authenticate against your domain controller at logon.

1. Power up PC
    2. Windows starts and waits at a logon prompt
    3. Your VMware session then launches as a service and the domain controller boots up
    4. After waiting a few minutes (waiting for the DC to boot up), log on
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • Options
    DapperDanDapperDan Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am using VMWare Server with Win 2K3 (Eval) and two XP and one Linux client(s). This setup works fine for me. I configure the IP's static and the gateways to my router to connect to another PC (member server).