Options

Using VMware for lab setup

Hi all,

I am looking at using VMware 5.5 to setup a lab for studying 70-270,70-290.

When i downloaded the program and installed it and ran a xp session it comes back with no OS found.

Was looking through the documentation and came across info in relation to copying image of XP or 2003 server to the VMware machine.

My question is how do i do this if i have no hard copy of these OS's also does this not bring up the legality of this.

I more than likely have this all backwards so if you good people could put me on the right track in relation to proper instalation of the different OS's within VMware.

Also when i downloaded the VMware program it also came with ISO images of Windows,Netware,Linux,freebsd but the sizes of the files are not consistant with the size of ISO images, correct me if im wrong.

I would be very grateful to anyone who could put me on the right track.

Regards

Eamonn
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• Options
    jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    When you purchased VMware Workstation 5.5, you only purchased a license for the VMware virtualization product itself. You did not purchase any Windows licenses. With that in mind, you did not receive any licensed Windows software that you can use to deploy Windows virtual machines.

You need to provide your own copy of Windows installation media/ISOs to build your Windows VMs.

The downloads on VMware's website are known as "virtual appliances", none of which will be Windows based due to the licensing model for Microsoft Windows products.

You've got the right idea, you just need to get yourself some Windows media to build your Windows VMs.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I don't think the MS license police will have a problem using one of their OS for a short time to do training labs. Even an unactivated XP will last up to 30 days before insisting on activation (though some keys only offer 14 days).
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Thanks guys for the information,

At least i know what i have to do.

Regards

Eamonn
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University