Options

I am the Offical New Guy ...

Hello all -

Just passed CompTIA Security+ and just starting on an MCSE....70-270 will be the first test I plan on taking.

Been following these forums for a while now but thought I would say hello and ask - what can I expect from a Microsoft test.

I plan on testing in the following order (found in a different post) ....
70-270
70-290
70-291
Elective (Security+ or my A+/N+ combo)

Gets MCSA http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/) status, then do :-

70-297 or 70-298

For MCSE (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/)

Any advice on books and study material?
(Unwraping Testouts Video CDs now)

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I actually signed up to take this test 2 days after passing my Security+.
    So I did not really study for it at all. The only reason I did this was to take advantage of the 2nd shot offer while I still could.

The one benefit I can see from taking this exam as early and unprepared as I did was knowing that I am taking it a second time for free and can kind of what to expect.

I hope I will find more time to study...But that is a different topic all together.

Anyway! The one thing that separate this exam from the Sec+ is that it is not testing you so much on concepts. The exam is mostly scenario questions that are long and drawn out.

The test actually took me a good 90 minutes or more to finish. I was actually surprised by this considering the number of questions I had.
  • Options
    xcanucxcanuc Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Megadeth,

How long did it take you to do the A+ certs? Just trying to figure out how long the 270 cert is going to take me and if I will have extra time. I like to be able to go out for a smoke during the cert. :D

I am scheduled for 7/21 to take it.
    Steve
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Well, you already passed Security+, so you won't have to worry about an elective for MCSA or MCSE.

If you choose to take 298 for your design, adding 299 gets you a security specialization. But you can decide on that later.
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Danman32 wrote:
    Well, you already passed Security+, so you won't have to worry about an elective for MCSA or MCSE.

If you choose to take 298 for your design, adding 299 gets you a security specialization. But you can decide on that later.

Thanks I will have to keep that one in mind.

MCSE is one of the certs I am after.... want to be MCSE / MCPD / MCITP - then start on CISSP or a bunch of linux certs
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    xcanuc wrote:
    Hey Megadeth,

How long did it take you to do the A+ certs? Just trying to figure out how long the 270 cert is going to take me and if I will have extra time. I like to be able to go out for a smoke during the cert. :D

I am scheduled for 7/21 to take it.

The A+ certs...... That was hmmmm over 3 years ago. I believe that the tests were adaptive so the exams took no time at all.... I think I might have only had 25 questions (give or take a couple) with the hardware and close to 30 with the OS.