Bling bling

curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
Another one in the bag - I didn't get scoring on the 70-215 either so they must be doing it only on selected exams. I think I got about 100% though as I only had 2 Qs I had to guess on and on those it was 1 of 2 possibles each time - I trust myself to have guessed them right!! Now I am stuck is it Security+, Linux+, or go on for MCSE. MS exams are a little detatched from reality - like rebooting isn't the answer, anything faulty is always a third party application, you never need to empty the temp folder, defragmenting noticably improves disk access speeds. The CompTIA exams are at least a bit more honest, but do the employers know that?

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security+, Linux+, and MCSE should all be respected by employers at this time.

If I were in your shoes, I would go for Security+ next. It is its own certification and it counts as an elective to the MCSE.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats!

you're right about MS exams, they do want you to know it the MS way, but I disagree about CompTIA... they often seem to be clueless about what they are asking, at least the MS way works in MS's reality (MS networks/systems.) ;)

If you want reality, try Cisco exams, no tricky, ambigious questions, just the facts... although I estimate you need to know at least 5 times as many facts to pass a Cisco exam compared to a CompTIA or MS exam. Also, in Cisco exams the correct answer is actually correct, not just the best answer :)

icon_exclaim.gif The current CompTIA and MS type of questions are the result solely of brain **** and **** sheets, they use terrible wording, crappy pictures, long long scenarios (MS), etc. to prevent people from memorizing (and hence dumping) them so easily..... so go ahead, blame it on the brain dumpers icon_twisted.gif

Anyway, since you're MCSA now, Security+ would add two certs to your resume. But more importantly is to see what the demand is in your area.
  • curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am really up for Security+ but 2 things make me unsure

1. Lots of people say the exam is not mature enough and the questions are dodgy.
    2. Microsoft exams require a Microsoft mindset - I am in that mindset now having done 270,218 and 215 in quick succession.

I do like the look of Security+ though and I did stick in i-Net+ in between the MS exams (I had a spare day with nothing planned!!).

Oh and something nice for the cheaters out there - the 215 exam had a number of questions which were slightly reworded versions of questions I had seen in some of the practice exams, with consequently different answers. If you are hoping to pass using these dodgy practice exams then look out because I think MS is really trying to catch you out. Well done to MS.
    Now you are talking, I do like the look of CCNA as well and when I did a test for it I got about 75% - considering I dont know CISCO IOS at all I think that must be a good starting point. The test was the one on the CISCO website and I have been looking for a cheap router to practice on. I am definitely up for CCNA but I think that will take a lot longer than the time period I have done these CompTIA and MS exams in (studywise) which has been about a week each on average. If you know what is a cheap router with full IOS or a good simulator for IOS let me know, maybe I should look at the CISCO forums?
    1. Yes, that seems to be the case. I'm in an ongoing process of preparing for that exam myself, and I have to admit I'm taking it a lot more serious than other CompTIA exams. I received a copy of their study guide from Sybex to review, and although I only read 70%, it seems that the 2 years minimum experience they say you should have does make a difference. I never specialized in Security, but from the divers experience I have almost everything (expect the business policies and some terminology) is very familiar to me. Anyway, this is not a typical CompTIA entry-level exam but it is all theory, (hence IMO opinion you won't learn any actual skills from it) which can be learned by reading a book (uhmm... make that at least 2 books ;) )

2. How about being one of the first MCSAs on 2003? You 'only' need to take 1 exam (70-292), which is very much the same as the 70-218 exam, besides some questions about new features.

Another note for cheaters and non-cheaters: www.certtimes.com/it/newsletter/current
    Yeah, CCNA would take more than a week probably. There are indeed a couple of posts in the CCNA forums about simulators and home labs. Here's one from the CCNP forums that perhaps contains some intersting information: www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1623
  • jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another note for cheaters and non-cheaters: www.certtimes.com/it/newsletter/current

also a nice promo for your article on shadow copy volumes

:D:D:D:D
    also a nice promo for your article on shadow copy volumes

Yes indeed, I noticed the great compliment from Ben Ice, the editor of the CertTimes IT Edition. I became the author of the CertTimes Study Zone last month. I'm quite proud of it, also because of the huge amount of subscribers they have, and it's always been one of the few newsletters I'm subscribed to.
  • jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    it is a good newsletter and one of the few i'm subscribed to aswell.

it's well put together, and always makes for good reading.

:)
    Looks like Sec+ for me right now - I don't really fancy doing 70-292 at the moment although I beta tested 2003 server at beta 3 and RC1. I have been through the Myers Passport Security+ book and although those books get bad reviews I think they are good if you are experienced, the myers passport book was all I used for 215 (+experience of course). I found the book interesting (sec+) and ordered the Microsoft Security+ book because there were a couple of things in the Myers book I didn't quite 'get'. Those passport books are good for getting the outline concepts of the exam down and are well priced - they aren't comprehensive study guides. Good luck to you on Security+, this book is real skinny for a MS study guide - what's the sybex like?
    Good luck to you on Security+, this book is real skinny for a MS study guide - what's the sybex like?

thanks. Well, if I'm being really critical (and I wanted to save this for a final review which would be posted in a new forum section called product reviews, just takes sooo much time to write them), I think the security related topics are good, and from what I hear from RussS, the Sybex book combined with the full PDF of Tcat Houser and Helen O'Boyle is one of the best options. But I don't think the Network+ topics in it are well written, if you're already Net+ certified it shouldn't be a problem. Also, and this goes for almost any book, it's not thorough enough to pass the exam by just reading this book. (about 500+ pages).

I agree, that most of the topics are darn interesting.

I'm a big fan of MS training kits... as long as they're about MS exams ;)