Options

A+ and Network+ = can pass this exam?

bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
Forgive me ignorance as I know very little about this certification.

But I have A+ / Network+ / Security+ from Comptia, there was a fair bit of 802.11 technology covered in those exams.

Was wondering how much more I would need to pass this test(s).

Any extra information would be great!

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have all three of those certifications as well and the CWNA, I can promise you that you'll need much more than what's covered in those exams for the CWNA. Get the third edition of the official study guide and you will have a crystal clear idea of the depth of material you'll need to know.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Indeed, there's much more to know about wireless networking for the CWNA than you learned for the A+/Net+/Security. About 90-95% more. The are overlapping topics, but the CWNA goes much further into details. Knowing the basics already will be of help nevertheless, as well as the general networking and security knowledge you picked up from studying for those. I think CWNA fits pretty well after those three CompTIA certs.

Here's a link the exam objectives for the CWNA exam:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.cwnp.com/exams/pw0100_objectives.html
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Get the CWNA Study Guide 3rd edition and compare the detail of the information with the wireless networking material in the A+, N+, and Sec+. There's quite a bit more for you to learn about 802.11. icon_wink.gif

http://www.cwnp.com/cart/products/CWNASG.html
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Thanks guys -
    Will look into it further :D
  • Options
    WRXSTi04WRXSTi04 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its a tough exam, so don't let it fool you
    Its no Network+ and is not even remotly close
    Study is great tool along with CBT videos
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    As the guys say above, almost everything you will learn for the CWNA isn't covered in a+/net+.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    jgilbreathjgilbreath Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a used third edition CWNA book I will sell cheap but if I were you I wouldn't bother with this exam. I prepared for several months and failed. The test at that time included a lot of questions you couldn't find in the book. They only want your money. I now have a Cisco Wireless Cert. I almost forgot if you still want the CWNA I have a CBT I will also sell cheap.
  • Options
    jgilbreath wrote:
    if I were you I wouldn't bother with this exam. I prepared for several months and failed. The test at that time included a lot of questions you couldn't find in the book.
    You can't pass the CWNA exam having only read the CWNA Study Guide. You must also study from other computer networking resources and have practical experience with 802.11 networking. The CWNA is not an easy exam, and this is what gives the CWNA cert its worth to earn.

Having already taken the CWNA exam once, you have a much higher chance of passing a second time. I would encourage you to both broaden and focus your study and experience with 802.11 networking and try the CWNA exam again.
    jgilbreath wrote:
    They only want your money.
    If this were true the CWNP certs wouldn't be some of the most sought after in the IT industry.
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    jgilbreath wrote:
    They only want your money.
    If this were true the CWNP certs wouldn't be some of the most sought after in the IT industry.
    Indeed, that's just silly, and an insult for the people behind CWNP. There are many, much easier ways to get people's money than create several high-quality exams 'and' study material. Even though CWNP is still relatively new, some of the older exam vendors could learn some lessons from looking at how CWNP does it. There's more to becoming certified than reading a book, but compared to the exam, the CWNA guide is more complete than most MS training kits or Cisco press books. Combine it with the whitepapers and link directory available at cwnp.com and you'll have plenty of resources.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    There's more to becoming certified than reading a book, but compared to the exam, the CWNA guide is more complete than most MS training kits or Cisco press books. Combine it with the whitepapers and link directory available at cwnp.com and you'll have plenty of resources.
    Well said!
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Actually the difficulty of the exam/cert is one of the major reasons I decided to persue it. I like the idea of a cert that means something. I have the MCSA and it should mean something but thanks to braindumps and other likeminded sites the value of the MSCA is heavily diminished.

I find that most people immeadiately wonder if I truly know what the cert says I should or if I'm just a paper tiger.

I do wireless here (I'm considered the local guru, but I'd be the first to admit there's much I still need to learn). I have plenty of hands on and have studied the CWNA guide. As far as study guides go webmaster said it all. You can't compare it to much else as there is no comparison. My failure on the first attempt was due to not placing enough emphasis on learning the standards and what they represent. I guess I figured that'd be a subject for a higher level cert. Now I know better. So I learn it and take the test again. No harm there. The more you know the better off you are.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    drainey wrote:
    Actually the difficulty of the exam/cert is one of the major reasons I decided to persue it. I like the idea of a cert that means something. I have the MCSA and it should mean something but thanks to braindumps and other likeminded sites the value of the MSCA is heavily diminished.

it's laughable for you to think tht there aren't any braindumps for CWNA as there is for MCSA or any cert exam you'll ever do.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    SturmbahnSturmbahn Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Braindumps sound like such a waste of time if you only know enough to answer test questions, but not enough to save you from getting fired for incompetance.

As for the CWNA, I already passed A+, Net+ and Sec+ before moving from CCNA to CWNA (due to lack of working Cisco routers to experiment on). The Network+ is a very brief introduction to wireless, think of it as letting you know that it exists and is popular before moving on to another subject.

The CWSP, on the other hand, IS a step up from Net+, Sec+ and CWNA. It's still not a cake walk (I would get a 25% on CWSP without studing first, with 90%+ on Net+, Sec+ and CWNA), but it is very simple to understand as it builds on the aforementioned certification fields with a direct emphasis on wireless. I am using the second edition of the CWSP book that expires on 1/1/07.
  • Options
    I recommend getting the Security+ cert before attempting the CWSP. Although there is quite a bit of material in the Security+ that you won't see on the CWSP exam, it does give your brain a proper push in the direction of security topics that you will need for the CWSP and other security cert exams.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    A little off topic but along similar lines; although there is little wireless in ccna, would that help toward the CWNA ?

I can see wireless taking off in a really big way and moving into that makes a lot of sense along with the usual ccna-ccnp route.
    Kam.
  • Options
    The basic networking part of the CCNA will be somewhat useful but there is hardly any overlap apart from some basics. If you don't have a Network+ cert yet, then going for the CCNA first may be a good idea. But the configuring Cisco routers and switches portion of the CCNA won't be of much help for the CWNA. Regardless, CCNA+CWNA is a good combi.
  • Options
    wolfgang73wolfgang73 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you feel you have a passion for something... Go for it. I believe there is no wrong answer to which way you persue in becoming certified. If you can anwer those questions with-in a minimal error zone... Then you may know something about the topic.

regards
    "The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess. But, he's pretty sure you're fu**ed."