Windows 2003 Server Questions...

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
Which version of Windows 2003 Server Comes with SQL 2000 server?

I am in need of this for a client.

Thanks.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    Which version of Windows 2003 Server Comes with SQL 2000 server?

I am in need of this for a client.

Thanks.
    I didn't know any version of Windows Server came with SQL 2000. I thought you had to buy it seperate, not bundled.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    None of them come with SQL2000 because that is now replaced by SQL2005. Small Business Server 2003 Release 2 premium edition only includes SQL2005 Workgroup edition. It also includes ISA server 2004 and frontpage 2003 and Exchange server 2003 with Outlook 2003.

The Non-SBS server versions come with no freebies. You must buy the full versions of things like SQL server. Problably has to do with features like clustering and n-way processing which are not in SBS. There are four different versions of the big server product and Microsoft seems to be very careful about what features they put in each. SBS is more like drug dealer mentality i.e. "the first one is free". For the big servers there are 180 day evaluation versions downloadable from the right web page.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Depending on what you need it for, ie. if you have a custom app as the front end, you may be able to use the free SQL Server 2005 Express edition:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/default.mspx
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    We have SBS2003 Server Premium and it comes with SQL Server. We are just going to be purchasing another copy of this software. I need SQL because I need it for a database that I am implementing for a customer. I am using MSDE right now but MSDE limits the use to 2gb of space and has other limitations so SQL Server would be more appropriate for this client.

Thanks for the info guys.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have to have a separate sql server, you could either purchase a license for SQL and install a new "instance" of Sql Server on your existing SBS server, or purchase copy of Windows 2003 Standard and SQL 200x Standard (not sure if you can buy 2000 anymore but I guess you could buy 2005 and use your option to downgrade), and install them on a new server.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...